Incubating eggs and having pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunflowerenvy, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    I am wonder if you get eggs to catch and you want all hen ? do you keep your Incubator a certain temperature or you cannot sex them in the egg?

I know when a hen sit on the nest it is 50/ 50 chance
    [​IMG]
    laura

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    The hen determines the sex I wish there was another way but it's up to her.....

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    thanks for getting back to me
    laura

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:Ummm, last I checked it was still a mystery how sex is determined in birds. Interestingly there is a really high level if intersex, neither one or the other, in domestic chickens.

Abstract
    Not all vertebrates share the familiar system of XX:XY sex determination seen in mammals. In the chicken and other birds, sex is determined by a ZZ:ZW sex chromosome system. Gonadal development in the chicken has provided insights into the molecular genetics of vertebrate sex determination and how it has evolved. Such comparative studies show that vertebrate sex-determining pathways comprise both conserved and divergent elements. The chicken embryo resembles lower vertebrates in that estrogens play a central role in gonadal sex differentiation. However, several genes shown to be critical for mammalian sex determination are also expressed in the chicken, but their expression patterns differ, indicating functional plasticity. While the genetic trigger for sex determination in birds remains unknown, some promising candidate genes have recently emerged. The Z-linked gene, DMRT1, supports the Z-dosage model of avian sex determination. Two novel W-linked genes, ASW and FET1, represent candidate female determinants. Copyright 2004 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by