Incubating eggs, have to go out of town, how will this effect eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Parson's Wife, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    Duty calls, a ministers convention is looming...one I forgot about, and we will be gone 2 days & 1 night (we're not staying the whole time)
    My question: I'm on day 6 it will be about day 12 when we leave; I will be able to turn before we leave and ASAP on our return....will this cause them to die? Or just decrease my hatch ratio?

I do not have an egg turner at this time, it is on the list of wants... [​IMG]

I turn 3 times daily... I have 22 eggs.

Thank you. [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    They should be just fine......Lots of people have had to leave their hand turning for a few days and have good hatches....

3. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    they could stick to the shell and die:(

4. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I've heard that you'll still get a good hatch! Don't worry too much!! [​IMG]

5. RepoBob

RepoBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Hi Parsonswife, I tend to agree with TuffOldHen. It may not be the absolute best, but if thats the best you can do. Can you have someone to come over a couple times a day and lift one side of the bator than the other? Check back into the other thread, SpeckeledHen was posting there maybe she will have an answer too.

Bob

6. hart31

hart31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Bowbells, ND
    I have found several instruction sets for school teachers which say "turning can be skipped over the weekend"

Even among the most ardent proponents of multiple turning it seems to be the first 5 days which are the most critical.

I'll be leaving mine unturned this Friday and Saturday (days 15 & 16) as I attend The North Dakota Farmers Market and Growers Association annual meeting.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  7. red_raider_64

red_raider_64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Stephenville Texas
    You said you turn your eggs 3 times a day??
    You only have to turn them 1 daily if you want..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by