incubating eggs in high humidity enviorment

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelaykay, Jul 26, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Ok guys this is my first post so here goes...

I have 4 silkies. a pair of whites and a pair of splash. I want another white hen and a blue or black hen. I was thinking about buying some hatching eggs. I figured I could raise the chicks till maturity and keep the best ones of the colors that I want and sell the rest. I thought that this would be more cost effective then buying chicks and adults. But here is the thing... I live in Maine and the humidity here is high like in the 70% plus. Will that affect my hatch? I dont want to spend $70 on eggs to not have a single one hatch. I have one of those foam incubators. I tried to hatch a few eggs this spring but the house was so dry from the cold that I did not get anything. Any advice would be helpful. Should I just go to a show and buy a few hens and know what I get?

Thanks so much
    Mandy

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Yes it has a effect an you need to learn what humidity is needed to hatch in your climate. Its best to hatch your eggs till you get good at it before spending money on eggs.

3. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I've been having trouble w/ drowning chicks this year. It's been very humid, but I've been putting some paper towels (dry ones) in the incubator during the setting time and managed to get the humidity down to about 50%, hopefully this next batch wont have so many that drown. [​IMG]

4. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Bummer, my guys are only 4 and half months and not producing yet... I was hoping to have the two chickens by this winter to help keep my guys warm during the cold maine winter. Thanks for your help guys.

Would it help if I had them in a room with an air conditioner that is running all day??? That cuts the humidity.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

It may help but you still need to hatch a while before spending money on eggs.

6. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    head out to Walmart and buy a $10 thermometer / hydrometer combo, then calibrate it. Figure out what your actual room humidity is, then go from there. The AC should help, as would a dehumidifier. Once you have the 'bator running for a week or so and humidity has been stable, buy some 'farm fresh' eggs (check and see if they have a rooster!) and do a test hatch on them. Worst-case, fall is county fair season and you might be able to make some contacts at a show.

7. mandelaykay

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Thanks Bantam Chase for the advice. I am going to my first show in a few weeks. I will wait until then and take it from there![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by