Incubating eggs question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewToFarming, Aug 30, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Well, I built a small homemade bator and I was wondering how to store the fertile eggs until you gathered enough and for how long you are able to store them. I am not sure how long you can wait before putting them in the bator and the best way to store them.
    I am hoping my bator I made will work. I guess we will see in about 21 days! [​IMG]

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I store mine in an egg carton withe the big end up and the lid open at room temp for up to a week. You have to tilt the carton a couple times a day to keep the air cell from settling.

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Wrap them in a thick layer of newspaper and put them in a shoe box. It's better if you put them with the fat end of the egg facing up.

You can hold them up to 7 days.

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Most people collect for 7 days. In reality the drop in hatch rates happens about day 14. If you collect for less than that you can keep them 80 degrees or less in a carton on the counter an tilt them from one side to the other every day. If for some reason you need to keep eggs longer than 14 days then those eggs should go in the fridge from day 1. After day 14 fridge eggs become more hatchable than counter eggs.

5. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! [​IMG] I never realized you could refrigerate fertile eggs and they would hatch!!! That is so good to know! I am only going to start out with like 2 eggs to see if the bator I had made will be successful or if I need to start over and try again. I am so happy this can be done because right now I only have 2 silkie hens that are laying and now I will be able to do more at one time if I am able to collect them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by