Incubating Eggs set on 1-1-13!!

Dook

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
Wagga Wagga, AUS
It's been 2 1/2 years since my last incubation! So it's time to put more in again!

We decided new years day would be good since we wern't going to be away after that! And could stay with the eggs to turn them =)

I have a mix of 12 chicken eggs, all of varying sizes too, I have no idea on the breeds! They came from my partner's mum's place. She has a mix of layer hens and two beautiful roosters, one all black and the other a bluey grey with speckles all over (such a handsome roo!) There is also a few bantoms that hang in there aswell, but none of the eggs I got are THAT small!

She also gave us 12 quail eggs to hatch for her, never hatched quail before! When I put them into to set I checked them to see if there was cracks or solid insides. There was a few cracked and one seemed rotten like a marble inside rolling around. So I put in 9. The day after one of them had cracked and oozed a bit. So now I have 8 quail eggs.

It is now day 6 and I have kept them tuned 3 times a day, humidity is good and all seems fine so far!

The chicken eggs feel a bit more weighty than normal.. ALL of them! so hopefully that means they are all growing!? =D I wont candle them until much further down the track though!

The quail eggs are so tiny I can't tell if they have changed or not! They fell very light and one of them likes to roll on to one particular side and is hard to turn to the opposite side, so I lean it on another egg to keep it there. I'm wondering if it's dead/ stuck to the side?

Does anyone know a good way to tell if quail eggs are all good? These are the blotchy spotted quail eggs, and I believe they'll be hard to candle.
I'm not even sure if there is anything in them at all... but my partners mum really wanted some baby quails! and since her's wont sit.. we were to do it for her!

I'll update as time passes and hopefully when it comes.. have some beautiful little babies to share!

Update!

1 quail egg has exploded!! the shell went everywhere, but the insides looked like a boiled egg (so no egg mess) and no fetus, didnt even smell. Starting to doubt the quail eggs have anything in them.

I candled the chicken eggs because I was curious to see how they are going! today is day 10 and most of them are really dark, a few are lighter but with a large dark spot.. so I can only guess all the dark ones are certainly growing, the others.. likely!

I'll candle again before lockdown and see how many of the ones I guess will actually hatch! =)

My partner has already named the smallest egg... so I hope it hatches AND turns out to be female! ^_^

Hi,
I set my eggs at New Years Day (1-1-13) 27 eggs BCM, LB and LPR, I just candled them today and seems like 8 of them are infertile
sad.png
bad so bad I just started new years and I'm getting bad news from my eggs, I will leave them just in case. I'll candle again at lock down.

I just hatched a batch of COUTORNIX was a really hatch
sad.png
, I opened my bator after few chicks hatched and the humidity went down and eggs dried
hit.gif
a lot of chicks were dead in the shell and ended with 20 chicks from 50 eggs.

I started a experament on useing a box and light to hatch eggs on January 1st , I set 8 eggs and they all started but I lost one yesterday and it looks like I lost one again today so I think I am down to six now. Its hard to get condetions right in a box lol . Next time I will have more thermomiters.

Hi,
I set my eggs at New Years Day (1-1-13) 27 eggs BCM, LB and LPR, I just candled them today and seems like 8 of them are infertile
sad.png
bad so bad I just started new years and I'm getting bad news from my eggs, I will leave them just in case. I'll candle again at lock down.

I just hatched a batch of COUTORNIX was a really hatch
sad.png
, I opened my bator after few chicks hatched and the humidity went down and eggs dried
hit.gif
a lot of chicks were dead in the shell and ended with 20 chicks from 50 eggs.
Good luck with your new years eggs!! ^^ I think all my quail are duds >.> I tried to candle them, it was hard to tell.. but they seemed clear =( At least I hope I'll get a good bunch of chickens though!

I started a experament on useing a box and light to hatch eggs on January 1st , I set 8 eggs and they all started but I lost one yesterday and it looks like I lost one again today so I think I am down to six now. Its hard to get condetions right in a box lol . Next time I will have more thermomiters.
Interesting! Hope they turn out =) I'll be sure to post some photos as soon as they hatch, I'd like to see other 1-1-13 babys too!! =D

Update!!

I candled the eggs last night and 7/12 chicken eggs are completely dark (developing) and there was even 1/6 quail eggs that was totally dark too! The others were clear/light. So I may be in luck! 1 quail! If so, it should be due in a few days! My other half was a bit sad that the chicken egg he named wasn't a dark one though...I hope he'll give it to another! (name being "Beta Tape")

3 days for the quail to go and 7 days for the chickens!! Gotta get the brooder ready!! =D

Here are the new babys! 7/7 of the chickens we marked as 'will hatch' hatched! The first one was a day early! Hatching at 3pm 21-1-13 the next at 12.05am 22.1.13.. by 7am there was 5! by 9am 6, and the last one hatched about 3pm after a little help from me.. (it had pipped a round hole rather than a line and had been trying to push out for 6hrs... I didnt want it to wear out and so opened up the shell a bit so that it could push the rest of the way open) ^__^

No quail hatched either.. but I hadnt expected them too anyways.

After I put them in the brooder we had a 2hr blackout which led me to make them up a hot water bottle to snuggle to until it came back on!

May upload more photos as they grow!

Back
Top Bottom