Incubating eggs turning a funny color on top

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pacificrose, May 17, 2011.

1. pacificrose

pacificrose Out Of The Brooder

We are hatching duck eggs for the first time ,and the top of the egg as it sits in the turner if very dark on top .This just happened in the last day or so ,the eggs have been in the incubator for about 2 weeks .We did candle them and they looked good . What is this and what should we do ??? Thanks .

2. missy5

missy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    This is my first time incubating too. Out of eight eggs only four hatched. The other four went like yours. After a couple of days of not hatching i opened them up. I think it's caused from too much humidity. I think towards the end i uped the humidity was too high. I'm no expert at all, hope someone else pops in to answer. I'm going to try to find the post that helped me with my problem and if i find it i will let you know. Are they all like that because i think you can still fix it before it's time for lockdown?

3. missy5

Sep 18, 2010
    Ok, i found it. "Shrink wrap"vs."Sticky chick"? I think you just put it in the serch box. Shows you how much i know but i'm trying to help. Hope you can find it. What is your humidity at now?

4. pacificrose

No they are not all like that one really one maybe two ,but we thought it was because of not enough humidity .......

5. missy5

Sep 18, 2010
    In my experiance wich is very little. If it just started today it will continue and the other ones will end up the same way. I wish someone else would coment on this. Check out the post i told you about, they explain it so much beter than i do. Good luck, i don't mean to worry you but now is the time to fix it.

6. pacificrose

I could not find it ,what subject is it under ?? Yes I would like someone else to comment too .

7. missy5

Sep 18, 2010
    FOUND it, it's in the incubating section under the index. It's on page eight a little more than half way down. Hope that helps.

8. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I just finished hatching ducks and they always seem to have dark areas that don't seem to mean much. Unless there is an odor or leaking I would just see how it goes. Hope they do okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by