1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubating eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stacyh40, Feb 28, 2017.

1. stacyh40

stacyh40 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Montana
    So we have had a couple small hatches, but last week the neighbor brought up 72 eggs to go in the incubator. I"m a little freaked out about having that many chicks hatching. anyone else do large hatches before

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    LOL, My wife said did you get the eggs set---I said Yea----she said how many you got in the incubators----I said 949 now. She said OK!! But only usually hatched between 200 and 300 in a week when hatching.

What kind of incubator do you have and do you have a brooder big enough to handle them?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. stacyh40

Feb 24, 2017
    Montana
    I have 2 different kinds a cheap chinese made one that holds temp awesome with automatic turner, and then a little giant still air that drives me nuts with the temp. To start with we have 3, 6 ft long stock tanks in the back room of the house till they are feathered out then they will go in the heated barn for awhile.

1 person likes this.
  4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If the little giant has the little turn know on it-----do this before you set it next time----turn the knob all the way(with out forcing) back and forth several times. That helps clear the carbon dust inside the "knob" and should make it more stable-----post back if you do it and it helps----so others can do this. I keep doing mine every 2/3 hatches like that and never had a problem with it being unstable.

If you want you can mark the side of the little knob and a little mark on the incubator next to it so it will be easier to get back to the normal temp setting.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    My wife stopped asking [​IMG]
    Bought another 1202 about 2 weeks ago and set 5 trays last weekend (480 eggs). Some of these have poor fertility, so if I get 300 chicks I will be ecstatic.
    Buying another incubator this weekend, that will bring me to 5 in use.

So, in response to the original poster, several of us have experience with large hatches. Do you have any particular questions we can help with?

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Just for Info---I have had fertility problem pop up but quickly got it under control so I would not loose a lot of eggs. If you are interested start another post I will tell you how I fixed it. Don't want to steal this post.

7. stacyh40

Feb 24, 2017
    Montana

Thank you for the advice I will try that after this batch is done

8. stacyh40

Feb 24, 2017
    Montana

No particular question at this time , just wondering if others set that many eggs, and if setting so many eggs do you keep them all or do you sell the chick or for personal consumption I guess would be some questions I have now

9. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I try to sell all the chicks I can. When sales drop off in summer, I start growing out stock for next year's breeders, or to sell as older pullets.

10. stacyh40

Feb 24, 2017
    Montana
    Quote:OK sounds like what i was thinking after all the eggs were given to me to hatch. They were free so i guess what i get from them is a plus for me.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by