1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ascott1978, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    How long can I keep eggs (at room temperature) prior to incubating them.

I would like to hatch about 30 but I only getting about 8 eggs a day.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Up to 10 days and then the hatch rate starts to decline...I keep them in a cool spot on the kitchen counter, tilt them acouple times a day to keep the yolk from settling to one side and you will be good to go....

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Not a problem. They will easily keep long enough for you to assemble a group of 30.
    If you have a cool [55 degrees] place to keep them like a basement they will keep 7 days w/o losing any viability. There's a small reduction in viability from 7 to 10 days and after 10 days viability begins to drop off mor sharpely.
    Sounds like you can put a cllutch together in 4 days which isn't a problem at all. Think of a hen laying a clutch of eggs prior to going broody-takkes several days.

4. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Thanks for the advise.

If the eggs have mud or "stuff" on them, should I wipe them off? And if so, with what?

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I was always taught never to wash hatching eggs, just to wipe them off with a dry cloth...very dirty eggs I would never set......

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Don't wash the eggs. Wait until they are dry and wipe them off. If they are real dirty they could explode in the bator and ruion (sp?) your whole hatch. A little dirt is okay.

Good luck! I'm setting my first set this weekend maybe we will be hatching together.

7. ascott1978

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Thanks for all the replies. I've started collecting the eggs yesterday and will be incubating them soon. Can't wait... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by