incubating eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amadsen09, Mar 14, 2012.

1. amadsen09

amadsen09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    i am trying to incubate eggs and i have a few questions i try to candle them and i see the black spot that i have noticed in some of the pictures but i dont see the blood veins what can i do to see the blood veins in the egg?

2. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    Are the eggs light shelled or dark shelled?

What are you using for a candler?

I have a homemade candler that uses a super bright LED flashlight (bought at walmart). In light colored eggs its pretty easy to tell by day 5 or 6 i usually wait until day 7 to candle. Some people candle evey day. i wouldnt just because of the risk of handling them so often (bacteria,breaking, etc.)

If your eggs are dark shelled then it's a little more difficult. I have had Maran eggs that I couldnt tell much about after day 14.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. amadsen09

Mar 14, 2012
    I have a darker color shell, and i'm using a homemade candler it looks like something is going on but its hard to tell all i see is a black spot so i dont know what that means I'm new to chickens and this is my first time trying for chicks

4. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    How long have they been incubating? The further they are along, the easier it is to tell....(though I am sure you know that!) Good luck!

5. amadsen09

Mar 14, 2012
    they have been in the incubator since march 3rd

6. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I the the eggs are dark shelled, then you should wait a while. This is my first time with brown eggs, and at day 6, I couldn't see anything. Now, at day 10, I can see plenty, and I was surprised to see that all of them were fertile and developing.

7. debbiety

debbiety New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    Rely on luck,i think,there is not experience

8. amadsen09

Mar 14, 2012
    so tomorrow my eggs have been in the incubator for 18 days any tips on what i should be seeing when i candle the eggs and what am i suppose to do from the 18th day to when they hatch

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It should be pretty dark in the egg, and you should see an airsack. Make sure the incubator has plenty of humidity, and let them hatch. Don't open it unless you absolutely have no other choice.

10. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    put them in lock down. humidity 70-80%. stop turning and let em hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by