Incubating Eggs

BaileyFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
I started a batch of eggs on the 21st of February. They have not hatched yet. I have candled them and to the best of my knowledge most are fertile. I have a Little Giant incubator from Tractor Supply which I used last year to incubate some guinea eggs successfully. My temp is 99 degrees. Why have they not hatched yet? Any suggestion or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Appears they are likely not to hatch but could if the temps low. You could check a few suggestions.
1. What kind of eggs are they? 21 days for chickens, ducks turkeys geese 28 days
2. You could candle the eggs to see if they even developed.
3. Have you tested the incubator with multiple thermometers ?

Last edited:
I started a batch of eggs on the 21st of February. They have not hatched yet. I have candled them and to the best of my knowledge most are fertile. I have a Little Giant incubator from Tractor Supply which I used last year to incubate some guinea eggs successfully. My temp is 99 degrees. Why have they not hatched yet? Any suggestion or comments will be greatly appreciated.

don't give up I have had some chicken eggs take up to 24 or 25 days have you float tested them?

Give them a little more time. If your temps are off they may be developing more slowly and you can have a late hatch. Older eggs can take a little longer to hatch as well.

Are you working with a still air or forced air incubator?

Where are you taking the temp?

What kind of eggs are you incubating?

Trish

Makomd
I have 21 chicken eggs. I have used a LED flashlight to candle and most are fertile. I have a still air incubator. The thermometer is in the incubator with the eggs.

Is the thermometer laying on top of the eggs?

A still air incubator has higher temps on top. The bottom of the egg may be a few degrees lower...

Move your thermometer lower and see what you get.

I have not float tested them. I never heard of the float test. What do I need to do?

you take a bowl with warm not hot water deep enough so egg will not reach the bottom and you set the eggs in it the eggs should float with aircell up (make sure they have not pipped or you could drown the chicks) wait for the water to settle and watch for movement the egg will move if the chick moves. Also Thespoiledchicken is right about if the temp is 99 on top of the eggs the temperature inside the egg will be cooler which mean your eggs will take longer to hatch.

If you have fertile eggs and low temp you will have a late hatch. Slim possibility of some chick abnormalities also.

If your temp is off and you are higher than you may have an earlier hatch but chances are more likely for chick death.

I'm hoping you are checking temps on top of the eggs so that would put you about 2 degrees lower on bottom of eggs and your hatch will likely be a couple days late.

Back
Top Bottom