incubating fertilized eggs after refrigeration

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by julia39, Dec 21, 2011.

1. julia39

julia39 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2011
    I am new to incubating and got the fever and have 18 fertilized eggs in the fridge that I stuck in the bator. Has anyone else done this???? the eggs were refrigerated about 2 weeks before i stuck them in the bator. I think 3 are a no go there are no blood vessels on day 5 just the air pocket but some are developing the blood vessels....wish me luck!!!!

2. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    I have done it many times. The oldest one I attempted was 4 or 5 weeks old and it hatched. There are people on here who have hatched fertile eating eggs from trader joes. I have hatched eggs a friend purchased for eating also. It can be done.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Many people have good luck hatching refirgerated eggs, including me!

Good luck!

And also, [​IMG]!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  4. julia39

Dec 17, 2011
    thanks....I was wondering......I have a mix of silkies, bantams and duck eggs I am incubating from the refrigerated eggs....I just candled 1 of the 3 i thought were no gos and it is strting to get blood vessels so its a maybe and there are 4 i couldnt see thru the shell so they are maybes the rest have the blood vessels....all have the air pockets....I am keeping my temp at 100 degrees and humidity at 55%....I am so excited to incubate that i have stuck 66 egs in a 42 egg incubator...of course the silkie and bantam eggs are smaller....

5. Josie360

Josie360 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    This works, I've done it too. Just make sure and warm the eggs to room temperature before setting them in the incubator. Good luck and happy hatching.

6. julia39

Dec 17, 2011
    thanks...I am so excited!!my hubby thinks I am already addicted!!!
    poor guy!!!! [​IMG]

I want to have the hubby build me a cooler incubator....think they are so cool!!!!
    [​IMG]
    one project at a time though...must have patience......
    [​IMG]

7. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    I thought the refrigerator stopped the process? Please explain... curious.. Thanks.

8. free_loader

free_loader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    DeLeon Springs
    The fridge does prevent it from developing while it's in the fridge, however once it comes back up to temp things can get moving again.

I've currently got a handfull of maran eggs in the bator that were inthe fridge for a week or so.. I'm not home now, But I believe I set 7 eggs, candeled them after a week and only had 1 that wasn't developing

9. julia39

Dec 17, 2011
    i had 18 eggs in the refrigerator and out of the 18...i thought 3 were no goes but one is a late starter and another one that is developing looks like the yolk broke in it??? not sure but it had the blood vessels and everything so will wait and see what develops with it...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by