1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating for the first time. Day 13 questions.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Deebsra, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Deebsra

Deebsra Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    So, I'm hatching 8 Ameraucana eggs in a homemade (but not by me) bator. I'm on day 13 and I tried to candle the eggs tonight just to make sure they were fine. I couldn't really see anything except an air pocket and darkness. How can I tell if they are okay?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Here are some pics for you to compare your eggs too https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=230

Has your air sac grown ok as incubation has progressed? By day 13 the eggs should be getting full of chick and depending how dark the eggs are the candling can become difficult. Try to look for slight movement near the air sac.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The green eggs can be a bugger to see anything. Sometimes you can just make out veining around the air cell and that's about all. I use this page for my candling comparisons, but they are using lighter colored bantam eggs that are easier to see. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Sometimes you just can't tell and you just leave them in there and wing it unless there is a bad smell.

4. Sambi89

Sambi89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    St. George, UT
    I'm just starting out with my new Brinsea incubator and I have so many questions I can't stop reading. Thanks so much for all the info!

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You've got a highly recommended incubator. From all the Brinsea users on here, they are great bators. Good luck and feel free to ask anything you need.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Great choice of the Brinsea incubator :thumbsup Love mine. What model have you gone for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by