1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating for the first time-question on temps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jksmith, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Jksmith

Jksmith Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Today is day 5 of my first hatch and I have a question about temps. I am using a new Hova-Bator incubator with the electronic thermostat. It came preset to 100 degrees but the temps inside the enclosure vary between 100.0 and 100.8. My concern is that this is too high since everything I have read says that the ideal temp inside the egg for hatching is about 99.5. I wanted to give it a few days to make sure it stayed consistent, and it has, so now I am wondering if I should lower the thermostat by a degree. Also, do you think any damage has occurred yet? Thanks!

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You are fine. Damage occurs at much higher temps like 102, and the amount of time it's at higher temps.

YOur temp is just fine. Besides any adjustments can result in a big change for those eggs. IMO keep it where it is at. 100-101 is often used as an incubating temp.

GL

3. Jksmith

Jksmith Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Ok, thanks! I will leave it as is for now and continue to keep an eye on it.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Your welcome. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by