Incubating geese questions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Lapaysannefarm, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Lapaysannefarm

Lapaysannefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Virginia
    Hi this is my first time incubating geese eggs (and my first post on this forum), I have 7 geese eggs and 2 duck eggs that I put in the incubator on February 23, I think the eggs already developed a little before I put them in, the mother goose had started laying on them when I sneaked them to the incubator. They are on day 7-8. I have gotten mixed responses on this, but how high should the humidity be??
    I don't have a hydromometer so i've been adding water in every evening and morning.

I've candled them and they all have a small air cell except for one of the goose eggs.

I turn them 4 times daily, I think they are developing correctly. As I said before, they had been under the mother goose for one or two days.

How many days into incubation do you think they are? I can see a bit of veining but the egg shell is very thick.

Thanks!

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hello and WELCOME to the forum. Let me dig out some links for you that will help you. Your humidity may be excessive and you need to buy a humidity guage (a cheap one from a garden centre will do) to give you some better idea. What is your temperature and try to turn your eggs an odd number of times a day 3 or 5 would be ok.

Pete [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
  4. Lapaysannefarm

Mar 1, 2012
    Virginia
    Thank you! :)

My thermometer reads that it is 99 degrees

I will try to get a humidity gauge, how high should it be? I've heard 40-50% humidity and I've heard 55-65%. What percentage do you use?

Thanks again, Sophie

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Sophie, read all of the links Pete have you. He has given you the best guidance with those links for incubating. As he said you need to go get a humidity gauge, and have you calibrated your thermometer before using the incubator? That way you know it is reading accurately.

6. Lapaysannefarm

Mar 1, 2012
    Virginia
    I've looked over all the links and printed a few of them out :)

I have two thermometers in the incubator, and they both read the same tempature.

I found a humidity gauge and it reads 55-60% humidity, is that okay??

Thanks!

7. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Your temperature is fine at 99F but humidity should be 40-50%.

8. Lapaysannefarm

Mar 1, 2012
    Virginia
    Okay thank you for your links and helpful information :) much appreciated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by