1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Incubating getting close HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkiesRcool, Dec 16, 2017.

1. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Songster

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Today is day 16 on my silkie eggs and I was told to do lockdown early? How do I lay the eggs after I candle them do they need to be layed a certain direction. Like when I candle do I look for something and that determines how I lay the egg or just lay them in there however. Also I have a metal grate underneath the eggs for when the chicks hatch do I need to put something over it. It’s the one that came with the incubator. Thanks for the help

2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler Premium Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    Mine hatched day 20 and 21 and I did lockdown on the 18th day.
    When you candle trace the air cells. Whichever side dips down the furthest I put facing up since I lay my eggs on their side. The metal grate is fine. Good luck!

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I put a piece of rubberized shelf liner over the hardware cloth 'grate'. The perforated kind that allows air flow. I cut it the same size or just a bit smaller than the hardware cloth so as not to interfere with the lid fit.
    It keeps the incubator much cleaner and the eggs don't roll as much.
    You can see a dip in the air cell and I put that side up.
    I can't see in my eggs so I put them on a level surface and let them roll. When they stop rolling, the side that is up is how I put them in the incubator.

Stayc and AlleysChicks like this.
  4. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Songster

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok so how long can they stay out while I figure out how to put them in with the rolling method? Also where Can I get the shelf liner do any type of stores sell it or only online?

5. AlleysChicks

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    Do you have a dollar tree? That’s probably the cheapest place to get it. If not Walmart has it. Just do it as quick and safely as possible. They will be ok.

6. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Songster

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok thank you all very much for the help I appreciate it hopefully I’ll be posting in the new chick section soon

7. AlleysChicks

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    :fl Can’t wait to see pics!

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, K Mart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. etc. etc.
    A hen gets off the nest nearly once a day so keep that in mind. It doesn't take long. Depending on how many eggs are in the incubator, if it is more than a dozen, I pull a dozen at a time. When they stop rolling, I put a mark on the top of the egg and put it back.
    If you have eggs that are easy to candle, you can just put the dip side of the air cell up.
    I just roll them because I can't see much in there.
    This step really isn't necessary since they'll hatch anyway but I like to be able to see the pips.
    The siblings will end up playing soccer with them anyway.

9. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Songster

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok thank you very much for the help

10. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Songster

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Oh also so do I do lockdown today and go early since there bantam or just do it on the 18th day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: