1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating gone wrong?!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dewtheduck, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Dewtheduck

Dewtheduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Hi guys... first time hatching... found my duck egg out in the wild... made a home made incubator and don't know if im doing it right im pretty sure its alive as i have candled it about bzillion times but want to make sure how to place the egg in the incubator a late question and if i had it wrong it could be dead but last time i candled i think i saw what was meant out to be an eye but dont know as i am not an egg hatching expert so i ask do you place the egg small side down or fat side down what i have been doing is keeping it on its side and turning it slowly every two hours. I worry so much and just need an answer soon any tips or suggestions about hatching and incubating would be GREAT

~Thanks!![​IMG]

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    if you have an automatic turner they go small side down in the turner. Your incubator should be at 99.5 degrees with humidity at 55%. Once you go into lockdown, the humidity needs to be 80%. Humidity is a funny thing though, results vary depending on the room that the incubator is in and where in the world your house is located. Some people do 80% some 85% and so on. As far as candling, you really should only do that 1x per week at the most. Once you go into lockdown, you shouldn't even open the incubator at all until the chick hatches.

When did you start incubating the egg? I doubt very much that you saw an eye. You might have seen the embryo. What temp do you have them at now? Do you have any idea what breed of duck the egg came from? This will determine when you will have to go into lockdown.

3. Dewtheduck

Dewtheduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    I saw an eye because i am on day 14 and as i said i do not have a fancy incubator cause this is my first time and im not a big chicken fan so i have to turn it my self and my incubator is 100 degrees and 65% humidity and i candle it every 2 days to see how its goin.... It's a mallard duck

4. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    You just got some very good advice. And you will get more. But stop candeling so much. You peace of mind wil come when your new lil one is following you EVERYWHERE you go.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by