Incubating Goose Eggs using Little Giant 9200 Still Air- Cross Posted

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pudge, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Pudge

Pudge Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well, I put my instructions in a place I wouldn't forget.. problem is.. I forgot. [​IMG] I had a 85%hatch rate last year. I misted and cooled after day 5 until day 26.

My questions is with the still air what temp do you set for halfway up the egg? I want to use the temp on the listed instructions for geese that came with it like I did last year. I am having a blond moment.

any help would be very appreciated.
    I cross posted this in the geese forum.

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:99.5F

It's often easier to measure at the top of the egg, but for goose eggs the temp needed would be higher than for chickens (the eggs are bigger)

Can you get a forced air kit, or adapt a PC fan for this incubator .... it would make your job easier. You are already having a hard time because small, still air incubators are hard to maintain at a high humidity than are large, forced air ones.

3. Pudge

Pudge Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I had really good luck last year after I read online that still air can be better for goose eggs. I am thinking of getting a forced air as well to give it a test run. I have 4 incubators and hatch quite a few of the little monsters last year along w/chicks and guineas.

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:lol .... you can read lots of things online [​IMG]

Still air incubators have been used with some success for a long time. They do require stable conditions and an almost perfect set up.

They also require ppl to accept that a 70% or lower, hatch rate, is acceptable.

They are cheap tho. People cling on to old ideas for some reason. I get that they work, but when they were designed, better alternatives were not readily available. They are now, and are generally superior in every way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by