Incubating & Hatching for Dummies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Namaste Mama, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    [​IMG] Last week we were given a bator (thanks so much Wendy!) and DH says I could give it a go. I read the sticky thread about hatching, is there anything else that someone new to hatching should know? I don't want to make any mistakes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    use the cheapest eggs for your first hatch.

3. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    [​IMG] Ahh so don't get those Maran eggs I have been eyeing right?

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    "Barnyard mix" will do just fine. That's what I've got going right now. I'm taking careful notes so if things go wrong I can figure it out. Happy hatching.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Seems like a good course of action, just keep reading and asking and reading and asking. I have found these folks love to help out.

6. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    [​IMG] Yup reading is what I have been doing. Its one thing to go get chicks at the feed store, and totally different to hatch your own. At least for me. Hatching is scary.

Another question, the bator I was given is a still air version, are these good for hatching or should I look to add a fan and possibly a turning thingy?[​IMG]

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    If you are trying to do this on the cheap, rob an old computer of it's fan and connect it to an old 12 volt adapter. You can turn by hand with good results or try setting the eggs in a carton (small end down) and then using a block, tip the eggs up on one side and then the next time on the other side. This way you can turn them with out touching them all the time.

8. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    Oooh good ideas! Thanks! My brother is a computer buff, I bet I could get an old fan from him! How would one wire it to an existing bator? Now I see some people can tell the humidity of thier bators, how is this achieved? Mine only have with a little thermometer.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  9. Namaste Mama

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    Ok my eggs are going to arrive today according to the post office tracking, anyone have any last minute words of advice for me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by