Incubating hatching issues

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lilmschick, Feb 11, 2016.

1. lilmschick

lilmschick New Egg

Feb 11, 2016
    Hello, my name is Adrianna and my fathers has been trying to hatch eggs for the past two months and he hasn't been successful, NONE hatched last month .. this month on the 26th day only 2 eggs hatched and one died and he opened one... It was dead. He's wasted over 30 eggs for being unsuccessful... If anyone can give advice or tips I would appreciate it!

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    if they are chicken eggs and hatching on day 26 your temps are low and you need to double check the calibration of your thermometer.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Adrianna

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear you have had bad hatches. Incubating and hatching need so many factors to be right for a successful hatch. Incubator temp, humidity, oxygen, turning of the eggs, egg quality & parent bird health just to name a few. I would recomend having a really good read of this link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    It has all the information needed on incubating eggs.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. lilmschick

lilmschick New Egg

Feb 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

The temperature always goes down itself ..

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Don't trust the read out, get another thermometer that is calibrated to check what your temps are.

6. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Temp, humidity, turning the egg, fertility, egg quality, health of parents are all factors to hatching.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. lilmschick

lilmschick New Egg

Feb 11, 2016
    My father order the incubator from eBay .. So I'm not sure what brand but it say "HHD" .. The next set of eggs .. What do you recommend I set everything at ?! They are "Gray chicken eggs and hatch chicken eggs" at least that's what my father says they are from Puerto Rico.. I really wanna help him have a successful batch.. Also we have an automatic turner .. How do you guys recommend I do the next batch?! Thanks a tonnnnnn! I will send pictures.

[​IMG]

That's the one that hatched on day 23 .. It's still doing good.

9. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    with that much condensation on the sides the humidity is much higher then indicated, you really need to get a calibrated thermometer that you can use both dry and wet bulb to get accurate temp and humidity readings.

10. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    To be hatching by 23 days you're on the cold side. Incubation period for chickens should be 21 days. I recommend 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't like automatic egg rotators. I like to turn my eggs by hand. You can tell if the eggs are getting close to hatching and if they are still good or dead. I rotate my eggs twice a day usually. Sometimes more or less depending on where I'm at in incubation period. When I feel the chick pecking the shell I stop rotating the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by