1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating/Hatching problems.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by morgangarner, Nov 1, 2016.

1. morgangarner

morgangarner New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    South Arkansas
    Incubation/hatch question:

I had great success with my first group of eggs had a few duds but no biggie.

My last group was horrible hardly anything hatched. There were 4-5 rotten eggs. Several made it to day 18-20 then would die right before hatching. I would open the egg and there would be a perfectly formed chick but for some reason never made it out alive. The umbilical area would be distended that's about it. Also the 2 that did hatch died a few hours after.

I'm using a forced fan incubator. Following strict instructions on humidity and temp for the first 0-18 then increasing humidity 18-21 like the manual says.

What's the deal?

Is it something I'm doing or just a bad bunch of eggs? I recently added to my flock and had to group together my hens and Roos by bread. They are getting along fine.

Although...Since I have moved them they aren't laying yet..they are all in very nice spacious coops with nesting boxes. So are they still adjusting or is it the time of year?

These little dead chicks are just devastating. I get all excited when I candle and see movement then a day later nothing.

#sadchickenmommy [​IMG][​IMG]

2. tuagmus

tuagmus Just Hatched

Oct 20, 2016
    Wausau, WI
    I have that happen too. Like to see what ppl suggests...:'(

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Are you marking air cells and adjusting the humidity accordingly? Humidity is not a fixed number. There are many factors that influence it, such as time of year, elevation, climate, and even the individual eggs being incubated. What works for one person may not work for another. And what works in the spring might not work in the fall. The only way to figure out what humidity level works best for your circumstances is by trial and error.

1 person likes this.
  4. morgangarner

morgangarner New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    South Arkansas
    Few things I was doing wrong. Staggering egg ages, not strictly locking down at 18 days..Bc of staggering ages my young vs older eggs were getting the wrong humidity and also being automatically turned. But..I did hatch a lot last time by still keeping them in the egg turner. When I took the turner out and laid them on the tray they started to just roll everywhere. I got scared and thought they would be more secure in the turner. Now I realize that wasn't a good idea. So learned some valuable lessons and now re-grouping. I have movement in 5 eggs now. Today is day 18. I took them out laid on tray increased humidity to 60-65 and I'm not touching them until they hatch and dry. Fingers crossed...hard life of a foster chicken mom.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    And stagered hatches should only be attempted if you have another incubator to use for those ready to hatch. The higher humidity that eggs hatching need can kill the still developing eggs. And if you don't get the humidity high enough for the eggs hatching, they can get stuck in the shell and die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by