incubating help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by milliefleur, Aug 20, 2011.

1. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    im pretty new to hatching and incubating bantam eggs. i started with a little gaint with no fan, wasn't to successful, i up graded it by putting in a fan thinking that it would help. still not that successful. went to get 2 emus the other week and found the gentlemen had a gqf 1270 cabinet for sale. got that and will give that a shot. but what i would like to know from you experts that have been doing this a long time what is the most affective way to incubate? i run mine at 99.5 and i humidity around 75 to 80%. is that wrong for bantam, and on the 19th day i put them in the hatching tray is that wrong? i candle the eggs almost daily about every other day make shore all is well. so were am i going wrong. i found that information on line since i have on one to ask questions until i just byc. is that info wrong. i want to be as successful as i can be with the gqf 1270. i hate seeing a wasted egg from my mistakes. i have a few broody hens im thinking of leaving the hatching to them so i don't mess up no more. but i want to learn how to hatch and be good at it. i really love doing it and love having the peeps around. so i would really appreciate all the help i can get from you all. i just started in may, and i know nothing. but i want to know more. here is a pic of my first peep she is 9 weeks old and is a sweet heart. im extremely proud of her she is my pride and joy. i love all my bantams but i love her the most. [​IMG]

2. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    I know that I have kept my humidity lower for the first 18 days, more like 40%. However, my first incubating attempt was not successful...so hopefully this bump will help you find someone WAY more knowledgable than me! Good luck! Btw, your peep is gorgeous! I have ten Mille fleur D'Uccles under a broody hen I got from teddiliza. Can't wait till they hatch!

3. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Your new addition is very pretty, the colors are neat. [​IMG] Your temp is right, but humidity is too high for the first 18 days (for chicken eggs). Like the last post said, 40 is good for the first 18 days, then lock down/days 19 through hatch up humidity. I went to lock down Friday & my humidity went to 73 but after I had the first egg hatch it went to 80, which is where it is staying now. On day 19 when i remove the eggs from the auto turner i place the eggs in cupcake papers in the incubator it cuts down on messes & the eggs don't roll around as easy. Good luck, ~Julie~

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Your girl is lovely--that breed is on my wish list.

Here's how I figured out if the humidity is correct: check the development of the air cells. Since you are candling, I'm assuming you can see thru the egg shell and see development. You will probably find that about 40% RH is about right. See this web site for a diagram of chicken egg air cell development as a guide.

http://www.poultryconnection.com/quackers/aircell.html

Ventilation is very important. Eggs need more oxygen as they develop,especially at the end. ANd if lots of eggs are set, more oxygen needs to flow thru the incubator than if only a few are set. IMO the more air flow, the higher the % humidity as air flow has a drying effect on the eggs. It's a balancing act! LOL

You might consider sticking with your old incubator as you have gained some knowledge about it's function and is not totally new to you. Keeping a notebook is very helpful too. I record everything.

This page is a collection of websites that I found helpful and put them in one place .
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=541936

[​IMG]

5. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    thank you all for all the info that is all very helpful. i will have to change my humdity and a few other things as well it is all appreciated very much. thank you for all the compliments on my hen.

6. Jloeffler

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Quote:Awesome idea! Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

7. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    when i go to get my humidity up on the 19th day what is the best way? i saw online some use a humidity pad in the moisture pan. is that pretty affective? once you get it there how do you keep it there for the rest of the hatching period? hope im not to much of a both asking so many questions.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  8. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

milliefleur... you ask all the questions you want, thats the only way you'll find the answers. Ask until you understand what to do, YOUR NOT A BOTHER. I'm still new to this, hatching duck & chicken eggs, it has taken many attempts hatching to figure out the best ways(for myself) to get temp & humidity to be correct and STEADY. I use the Little Giant w/fan Incubator & it was hard keeping every thing steady. ~ I wrap an Ace Bandage around the incubator, where the top meets the bottom b/c it seem to not be a very snug fit. That helped keep temp steady. ~ For humidity when i need it way up & stay up...make sure warmish water is full in bottom of bator, in the water area. ~Then i use 2 wash cloths, get each wash cloth wet/hot water then i squeeze out some of the water ,open wash cloth ,fold in half and twist some more water out. LEAVE WASH CLOTH TWISTED & LAY IT IN BATOR. (Basically you want the wash cloth wet, not dripping and by it being twisted/rung out The Warmth Of The Water Stays In The Twist) I dribble a little more warm water on top of the wash cloth before i lay it in the bator. I Do this with each wash cloth. Bator should stay closed during lockdown/last 3 days, but if you need to open for any reason, Have Another Warm Wash Cloth(or two) Ready To Exchange For The Other s. Humidity works well this way for me, i use to have very bad temp & humidity spikes(which are bad for successful hatches). Good luck, ~Julie~

9. Jloeffler

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    1234duck - cool idea with the wash cloth.

I use sponges in my water pan to increase the surface area of exposed water. Warm water will help you get the humidity up quickly, and like 1234duck said, the warm moisture will stay in the bator. If you do that and it's still not up enough a cup of really warm water can be added for a final spike of humidity. Just make sure chicks can't get in it or knock it over on themselves when they hatch.

X2 on the questions!! Ask away! This is the best place for it. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by