1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MelissaF, Nov 1, 2014.

1. MelissaF

MelissaF Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    Nashua
    I have two 11day old duckling eggs in my incubator. I have the xcellent globe mini (yes I know not the best) well I know eggs need to be turned when laying on their sides so the membrAnes don't stick to the wall, I'm assuming Gravity is a factor in that. Well in my incubator they stand straigt up, pointed tip down. I have a man flipping out about me not turning them. Why would you have to turn an upright egg? I'm just going off physics I guess. But both my babies are thriving and very active[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes you still need to turn them even though they are pointy end down and upright.
    Does this incubator not have an auto turner? If eggs are not turned the developing embryo could stick to the inside of the egg and eventually quit and die.
    If you don't have a turner they need to be turned at least 3 times per day but 5 is better always an odd number of times.

Incubating is trying to copy what mother hen would do. She would turn them underneath her in the nest.

Good luck with your eggs :fl

3. MelissaF

May 18, 2014
    Nashua
    No it does not, so basically I need to spin them around?

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Do the instructions not say any thing about how to turn in this incubator? Usually when hand turning you would turn the fat end over. Or if in a turner the eggs are turned through 90 degrees. If you have no other option then yes I would spin them round so at least they have some movement to stop sticking and get the nutrients moving in the egg.

5. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I believe your incubator has an auto-turner. Do your eggs tilt from side to side? If so then you needn't do anything else.

6. MelissaF

May 18, 2014
    Nashua
    The only instructions it's came with was how to set the temp and add water every 2 days

7. MelissaF

May 18, 2014
    Nashua
    This model has no automatic turner but the eggs do lean to the side, I've been spinning them the last couple days. Couldn't hurt I guess

8. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Yes spining them halfway ought to do it!

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I agree with TaraBellaBirds it should do the trick. I have been trying to find your incubator online for some tips but can't see it any where.

10. MelissaF

May 18, 2014
    Nashua

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by