Incubating...humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ambrosia, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Forgive any newbie questions in advance please! I have just begun my incubation, and throughout my reading on this forum and gleaning from as many experienced chicken people as I can I had decided that too much moisture at first = bad, and too little later = bad. However, my home is always heated to approx 75 degrees and my humidity reading is at 7%!!! I am thinking that's way too low [​IMG]

Any thoughts...? This is my first hatch, and I want to give them the best chance possible!

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have the same question. We keep our house around 68-70 all the time - and the humidity is low. I'm finishing the second week of incubation - and the humidity is under 20. I've got friends who swear they don't even look at humidity until lockdown - but it still makes me nervous to see the humidity so low.

3. ambrosia

Oct 21, 2011
    It wouldn't be so bad if we heated with propane or something, but wood heat is so drying! I water my diffenbacchia (sp) twice a week to keep it from wilting! I love DH for providing, but now I'm worried. I have a humidifier going in the house, and a three gallon dutch oven sitting on the wood stove to prevent over drying... but 7%???

Oh, what to do.... [​IMG]

4. ambrosia

Oct 21, 2011
    Anyone with a similar experience? If not, I will put a little water in before I go to bed, and just hope for the best...

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I hope I didn't miss anything. But what type of incubator are you using?

6. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    you don't have to keep the whole house humid just their incubator.

What incubator are you using most of them have someplace you put water to provide humidity.

If you use the dry hatch method the humidity in the beginning is around 35% then about 65% for lockdown.

I have only just now done my first hatch so not an expert at all but 7% is definately low look for where to add water to the incubator. If you can't find it add a cup of water or two wait and check humidity if it is too much reduce the surface area of the water provide, if it is too low add a sponge or papertowel wick to the cup.

7. ambrosia

Oct 21, 2011
    Hova bator.... and I know I can put some water in, but with the 'dry incubation' method i was thinking easy peezy. Til I saw my humidity level! I put water in just a few minutes ago. 8%. It's gonna be a long night...

8. ambrosia

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm thinking maybe a wet paper towel along the side, for a boost? just to maybe get it somewhere close to normal??? I had no idea my house was that dry!!!

9. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    We have a wood stove too! I don't add water until lockdown, but a bit is not going to hurt anything. Don't worry, just relax and enjoy the season.

10. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    Quote:Are you measuring humidity in the house or the incubator? I have not measured the humidity for the incubator, I just followed the directions for the hovabator, adding water to it about every 3 days from the beginning and a little more during lockdown. Our first hatch was 6 out of 8 eggs, and the 2nd hatch was 19 out of 24.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by