Incubating in cartons

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazyeggs, Aug 16, 2011.

1. crazyeggs

crazyeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Vermont
    I have eggs coming and I was thinking of using egg cartons this time around. I usually lay them on the wire mess and hand turn but I was wondering about using an egg carton and then just putting a large book under one end of the incubator then switching mimicking turning. I have read some about others using cartons and I would like to know which people found better foam cartons or cardboard? Thanks for your help [​IMG]

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I use egg cartons.Way easier I think,but thats my opinion. [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    My first time I put 12 in a carton and 11 on the mesh to see which worked better and when I went to lockdown I put all on the mesh but forgot to mark which ones were in the carton [​IMG] big dummy that I am. As luck would have it 11 hatched and I'm convinced they were probably one group or the other but which?

I'm setting tomorrow and will use cartons but some of my eggs are so round I can't tell which end is the air end so I'm putting thos on the mesh.

4. crazyeggs

crazyeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Vermont
    How did you turn the ones in the carton?

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I put a support under one side and switched the support to the other side each time and I shifted the eggs pointing toward that side to get more tilt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by