Incubating issues..

happyhippywales

Songster
7 Years
Jan 27, 2015
West Wales UK
Hi all, looking for some advice. A brooding hen abandoned a clutch after I moved them to saftey. She brooded them in an open shed under a van. Last year she did the same but my cats killed all the chicks. So needed to move them to saftey. Long story short, I've been incubating them for the last 20 days. Lost some. Could tell by the smell. On the 10th Feb one egg was chirping and moving. But nothing since, but when I candle the eggs there are still blood vessels! No noises however or movement. Today removed an gg that had yellow sticky stuff on the shell. I read it was bacterial infection. Also the eggs are under a brooder at a temperature of 39. 1 and humidity 70% I don't have a proper incubator anymore. It wasnt a planned incubation after all just felt bad leaving the eggs to die after my hen didn't want to brood anymore. Is it likely these eggs will hatch?
Thanks in advance, Lisa.

Attachments

• 16455382376584342354196690588421.jpg
    16455382376584342354196690588421.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 12
Is 70% humidity your lockdown humidity? Or what you've been running the whole time? Do you have any air vents in the container?
It fluctuates between50% and 70%.. Thats been the case for the two weeks. No air vents but the brooder is in two plastic draws that don't lock together. Not ideal I know.

It fluctuates between50% and 70%.. Thats been the case for the two weeks. No air vents but the brooder is in two plastic draws that don't lock together. Not ideal I know.
Hmm, I afraid that large of fluctuations will greatly reduce hatchability, if it doesn't kill them, and you need more oxygen going in than just the crack.
can you post pictures of your candling?

Hmm, I afraid that large of fluctuations will greatly reduce hatchability, if it doesn't kill them, and you need more oxygen going in than just the crack.
can you post pictures of your candling?
Ahh okay. It was always going to be a long shot without a proper incubator. I've successfully hatch ducks before. But sold the equipment and left it up to the birds. Yea ill see if I can get some clear photos to show you.

I think having humidity for that high for so long will have caused any chicks to drown inside their eggs. Especially without proper ventilation. Sorry.. wish you the best :fl

Back
Top Bottom