1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating Khaki Campbell eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenRiverCottage, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ChickenRiverCottage

ChickenRiverCottage Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    I bought 12 Khaki Campbell hatching eggs. They have been in the incubator (R-COM 50) for a couple of days. As I looked at the eggs today I saw one of them looks like it is blue inside, is that normal? This is my first time incubating duck eggs so I am absolutely clueless and hope someone can help me. [​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Blue is usually not good. It indicates a dead egg and they can explode. How long have they been incubating? You may get a blue look when they are close to hatching, but not in the incubation cycle. Have you been candling weekly?

Here is a nice duck egg candling chart:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. ChickenRiverCottage

Apr 30, 2009
    I started the eggs in the incubator on Sept. 7th, so they are not even in for a week yet. I haven't candle them yet, I just thought it was weird that the inside of the eggs had a blue shine through the white shell. I will candle it later today.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

That egg is not good, especially that early in the game. It may have had a hairline crack and bacteria got into it. That happens. At this point you should see something looking like a red spider in it. Its the heart and blood vessels forming. In general I expect half of the eggs to hatch, if they have been shipped through the mail. The eggs have been of poor quality if less then 30% hatch. Ideally would be 70%. I candle weekly to follow the process. Candling more often is not necessary.

5. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We have had Khaki Eggs with and off color coating on the shells that made them look greenish blue.

I would recommend candling at about 10 days. Watch closely up until that time, and thing smelly, or oozy coming from that egg and get it out of there right away.

Good luck on your hatch.

6. ChickenRiverCottage

Apr 30, 2009
    Thanks for all the helpful answers. We candled the egg and ended up taking it out. It was totally dark inside. I will candle the others at about 10 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by