Incubating mallards humidity

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ashbash325, Jan 30, 2017.

1. ashbash325

ashbash325 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    First time incubating eggs! I'm using the magic fly incubator set at 37.5C I'm confused about humidity. It really doesn't seem that warm inside the incubator, the water in the bottom is cold and there isn't any water drops or signs of evaporation of the water in the incubator. I bought a reptil hydro meter tonight, and haven't had a chance to put it into the incubator yet (incubating eggs on my desk at work) how do I lower/ raise humidity after I get a reading? Any tips please help!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'd be more concerned about temp if the water seems cold to you. Those Magic Fly incubators are awful and I've never heard of anyone liking them. Have you used another thermometer to check that it actually is at 37.5 degrees in there?

As for changing humidity, it's all about surface area of the water. The greater the surface area, the higher the humidity. So for example if you find you don't have high enough humidity, adding a damp paper towel would boost it. But if you have too much, you need to lower the surface area, such as by emptying a water channel.

3. ashbash325

Apr 13, 2016
    I'm buying another thermometer today. The hydrometer is reading 60% how do I get the humidity up? This morning there was small amounts of condensation on the inside of the incubator.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I'm on my second hatch of Duck eggs....
    What I was told...Temp always at 99.5....setting eggs. Humidity between 45 & 55%....the last week drop humidity to 40%....at lock down up humidity to around 60%

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

For the first 25 days you don't want the humidity higher. In fact 60% is too high. You want it more around 40-50% and watch the air cells to make sure they develop properly. If not, then you make adjustments.

As I said, to raise humidity you increase the surface area of the water, such as adding a damp paper towel, another jar of water, etc. To lower it you decrease the surface area of the water.

6. ashbash325

Apr 13, 2016
    Everything is perfect! 12/13 eggs were fertile. Im just scared hatching day is going to come and none of them will hatch!!!!

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

If you candled and all looks great before lock down? Then you sit and wait, then wait some more !!!....stressful for sure......

Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Chickens Really, is right, it's stressful, but I think you've got this. Keep an eye on the humidity as you go. Whats the expected hatch date?

9. ashbash325

Apr 13, 2016

Mallard ducklings, the hatch date is 2-24 so I have 3 weeks left :(

10. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

Oh! Nice! I have a hatch due 2/21! I think you'll probably be okay, just keep turning, and keep your humidity in check and you'll be hatching in no time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by