Incubating My New Eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by B-Step2018, Jan 19, 2015.

1. B-Step2018

B-Step2018 New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    If anyone knows, if I already have a batch of eggs in my incubator and I am 7 days into the incubation process, could I put my eggs I got for this week into the incubator with them or would I just have to wait? I only have one incubator as of right now. So what I mean is, if I date this second batch of eggs, could I put them in with the batch I already have incubating or not?

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I wouldn't, because when you go on lockdow with the first ones you cant turn these. And that is a long time that you can't turn them. It could be up to 5 days without turning them. So I wouldn't.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree on the above. What you'd be doing is called a staggered hatch and it can cause all sorts of issues. Be patient, hatch out the eggs that are already set, and depending on how many eggs you're getting, start collecting eggs for the next set in 10 days or so.

4. B-Step2018

B-Step2018 New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Thank you. But what if I were to mark the new ones and the old ones with different things. Like I already put x's and o's on the first batch of eggs, so what if I put hearts and stars on the new ones. I could still tell the difference. Could I do it then?

5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Still the problem will be during lockdown on the first batch. Once you put the first batch on lockdown at day 18 you can't open the incubator to take care of the newer eggs. Rhe humidity will be too high. And probably something else i can't think of right now. Still wouldn't do it.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you understand what lockdown entails and the dangers to the chicks if you open the incubator during that time? If not, you have some research to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by