Incubating newbie

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sherriwv, Feb 9, 2015.

1. sherriwv

sherriwv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    Yesterday I placed 21 eggs in the incubator. All the eggs were shipped eggs plus waiting for 20+ more to show up. I really wanted to wait until I had received all the eggs in the mail but got antsy! After reading on here for a few weeks now I see that shipped eggs don't have a great hatch rate so at this point if 2 of them hatch I will be delighted. Never had chickens before and like my dh says "you always seem to pick the difficult route when doing something new.". Haha, he is correct but I love a challenge.
    I am using a Hova Bator. Currently trying to borrow a LG for the eggs that are coming in the mail sometime this wk!
    Any suggestions on what I can do if I can't borrow the LG other than going out and buying another incubator?

2. LUVchick-a-dees

LUVchick-a-dees Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    Definitely keep trying to get another incubator. I tried hatching at different times and the second batch of eggs did poorly. The bacteria from the first hatch will kill the second batch, most of them anyway. Do you know anyone with a broody hen about to sit? She might hatch them. Hope the other bator comes through for you.

1 person likes this.
  3. sherriwv

Jan 29, 2015
    Today is day 3 and temp has held pretty steady at 100°9 humidity 37-41%. Day one I had rather high temp of over 101° so not really expecting any to hatch due to the high spike in temp. I am using still air and it is set up in my basement. Incubating from what I have been reading about on here is somewhat complicated so who knows if I will have any success. Another thing that hasn't made this first attempt any easier for this newbie is the eggs were all shipped! Kinda bummed!

4. Sambi89

Sambi89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    St. George, UT
    You can candle as early as day three and see veining usually. But my bator spiked to 102 the first day and all is still well. The temps can fluctuate a bit and that's ok as long as it doesn't stay that way for too long. I bet you get more babies than you think. I have 12 shipped eggs and 5 of my own cooking right now and so far 12 out of 12 of the shipped eggs are developing and 2 out of 5 of my eggs are developing so shipped isn't always bad.

5. sherriwv

Jan 29, 2015
    . Keep me posted on how your hatch goes... This gives me some hope!

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Sherri. You and I are kindred spirits, about choosing the difficult path! I made my bator with hubby's help, and started my first flock with chicklets that I hatched, and added 6 gals from a local feed store. I wish you the best. Will be following. When you candle, be sure you have a completely dark room, and a very strong flash light.

7. Sambi89

Mar 5, 2014
    St. George, UT

8. Lamancha

Lamancha Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi Sambi, I got the Bama eggs at the same time as you I believe. Mine are on day 7. I've never received shipped eggs before and was wondering how yours were doing? Mine were all fertile, but have some crazy bad air cells. Not the sellers fault of course.

9. Sambi89

Mar 5, 2014
    St. George, UT

Mine are doing fantastic. I let them sit for 24 hours then set them in the bator. I did have one that arrived broken (also not the sellers fault) but my air cells are perfect. These are my first shipped eggs as well and I'm very impressed. So far 12 out of 12 are developing as of the other day. I'll candle again on Sunday or Monday and update everyone! I'm so excited!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by