Incubating odors??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ih66series, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    A couple of days ago, my incubator started putting out a really fowl, rotten smell. Today is day 14 of incubation. Is this normal?

2. Louisianahomegrown

Louisianahomegrown Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Check to see if one of your eggs has a tiny hole in it or if anything is leaking out of a egg because the smell is not normal. You may have an egg getting ready to burst. Have you candled your eggs? If not then you need to do that.:
    Wife of an awesome man, have 8 barred rock hens, 1 barred rock rooster, 1 EE and 1 Australorp, 4 dogs and 1 cat....oh and a could of children of course.​

3. ih66series

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    I randomly candled 8 out of 40 and they were all growing.

4. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    The easiest way to handle this is to take each egg out, one at a time, stick them up to your nose and give them a good SNIFF. If one of them smells horrid, put it in a baggie and throw it in the trash. You may be candling and mistaking rotten nasty bacteria growing for chick development, if you have a smell, you have a stinker. It could explode and ruin your whole hatch!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree you should check all of the eggs. You know 8 are good but what about the other 32? There could be a bad one in there if there is a foul smell. I have had it happen a couple of times. Luckily I found them before they exploded. You will have a real mess and stink if they explode...

6. ih66series

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Found the bad egg! It had a spot on it and it was discolored and deformed.

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Good job, toss that sucker! I'm glad the bad ones stink, makes it easy to identify.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by