Incubating one egg in homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thiebert, Oct 18, 2015.

1. thiebert

thiebert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2015
    I thought I would try a experiment with one of my silkie eggs in a homemade incubator. To my surprise it is developing! (Candled it) If it does hatch, what then? I have to keep it away from my chickens right? When's a good time to introduce it to my flock? It will be winter and all my chickens will be kept in a coop. I'm really worried that it will get picked on.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Unfortunately, a single chick is not really the good idea many think it will be -- how far into incubation are you at this point? Yes, the chick will have to be brooded by you *unless* you happen to have a broody hen at the time it hatches and are able to successfully have her adopt the chick as her own. Introducing the single chick into the flock will also be potentially more problematic than if you were to have more than one to introduce at the same time. What breed(s) are in the flock?

3. thiebert

thiebert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2015
    It's 14 days in. Jungle fowl, Easter egger, Barrick Rock (the white and black ones lol) and mill de flour. I have 12 chickens all together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by