Incubating Peafowls-LOCKDOWN TODAY!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by happyhensny, May 12, 2010.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

In the bator at lockdown are 4 Pea Eggs, 4 Turkey Eggs and 15 Guinea Eggs. When I took out the turner this morning (Tuesday 6/8) 2 of the Guineas are pipped! I've never hatched anything but chickens so these are all new to me.

[​IMG]

Are the hens Spalding or Pied? The owner said he was not sure which, and what would the offspring look like? Thank a bunch!

A gentleman 1/2 hr from my home has eggs he is willing to sell me. There are 2 pens.

What do you all think? Charging $5/egg. Any ideas what the chicks will look like? Thanks!

Annie

[​IMG]

2 of these with him:

[​IMG]

and him and 1 of the above girls in another pen:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    If the blue cock is not split(means he does not have gene for white or pied) then all of chicks from pen 1 will look "blue", with a few showing a little white on their wing tips/chin.

Second pen will throw white and pied chicks.

IMO 5 per egg is VERY cheap. Especially if you are able to pick up in person.

3. happyhensny

Thanks so much - this guy has been so nice and helpfull too. He sold a bunch of adults earlier in the spring and just kept his favorites. Have you ever incubated them? Going to try 6 I guess.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yea.. have tried. Don't do so good at incubating peafowl eggs myself. Much harder than any other eggs. I had to resort to using hens in the past.. reduced the flock a lot, sold my incubator and a friend incubates whatever eggs I want to hatch for me.. unlike me he is a wizard at hatching peafowl eggs.

Good luck! And peachicks are the sweetest things, too. [​IMG]

5. Lady in Blue

Lady in Blue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Near Muncie, Indiana
    I think $5.00 an egg is a great deal!!! You can do it! Just be watchful but not obsessive!! Haha. this coming from someone who would wake up from a deep sleep to check the incubator! Good Luck and keep us posted!

6. happyhensny

Is it Friday yet?

[​IMG]

7. happyhensny

We picked up the eggs a day early. John was so nice. He gave us 7 Pea eggs, 18 Guinea & 8 Turkey eggs. All for $30. His reason was that he has lots anyway. I am so excited! Going to put them in tomorrow. If anyone has hints or pointers please let me know. I did give some of the turkey eggs to a friend. Here are what I am going to put in the bator.

[​IMG]

8. happyhensny

My friends bator quit - he put some water in and then the heater wouldn't turn back on. So now we have 4 more turkey eggs. Tonight I will be candling. BRB!

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My eggs normally do pretty well with my Dicky Cabinet incubator. Last year I hatched every egg I set in it, even shipped pea eggs. This year is slower, my guys aren't doing that great yet, but just have 2 that hatched today......

10. happyhensny

Quote:Any pictures of them? Would love to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by