Incubating Peas

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by doxies1, Jan 6, 2011.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    I had very poor luck trying to hatch Peas in the bator last year . I understand that is not uncommon. How abiut some tips from you eggsperts out there.

2. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    the best tip I got when starting out was .... start the eggs under a broody chicken for the first week or two....
    Dont know why, but that seems to work pretty good.

3. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    the best tip I got when starting out was .... start the eggs under a broody chicken for the first week or two....
    Dont know why, but that seems to work pretty good.

I've also had much better luck using a broody hen the first week then moving into the incubator. Probably has something to do with the fact that a hen is always turning the eggs.

If you don't have a broody hen available, try turning the eggs more often. If you're using a automatic turner try also rotating the eggs in the turner.​

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes agree think the turning alot that first week helps. plus they hatch better when layed on the side. My incubators that roll the eggs hatch them better.

Sportsman incubator i place them on the sides ,use auto turner and also hand turn. I use broody hens first week when i can,

Hatchrite and roll-x incubators eggs are layed on their sides and eggs rolled.

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I have never hatched eggs before, and I have a little styrofoam incubator I got last year but it turned out none of the eggs I got were good anyway. Also I don't have any other birds other than peafowl and only want peafowl so for the first week when you say turn them a lot how many times a day would be good? You can never overdo it right so if I turned them every time I passed by the incubator and whenever I wasn't busy other than just twice a day? My plans are to take my peahen's first clutch of eggs and try and incubate them and then she can try setting on her second clutch since I want some hen raised chicks.

6. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Those incubator not good for peafowl eggs.....one problem when opening them to turn eggs ,takes way to long to come back to temp.

If using that incubator about 5 times a day.

7. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I was wondering about that...I always freaked out when I opened the incubator to turn the eggs because I felt like the heat was escaping too much last year but I only had three eggs in there so I turned them all very quickly then rushed to put the top back on. So 5 times every day not just the first week? I have seen videos of people hatching peachicks in the styrofoam incubators, but they could have used a chicken to get the eggs started. Maybe my four year old peahen can stay on her eggs this time. Last year for her second clutch she lay one egg, sat on it, then abandoned it. Then she laid a second egg, and sat on the eggs then rolled the first egg out of the nest and only sat on the second. It seemed like she sort of had the idea, but she wouldn't stay on the eggs. So far after speaking to one of the people we buy our peafowl from, he said that sounded strange and maybe the eggs just never were fertile. There are so many possibilities, I just hope it all works out this year.

8. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Oh yes some have been hatched in those incubators, forced air are bettter. Lot more work and results are not that good, but yes can be done.

Yes many peahens will set their own eggs.

9. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Okay then I think I will try incubating this year with the first eggs in the styrofoam incubator and let the peahens try and hatch their second clutch. We are going to make some nest boxes for them and then put a fake egg in each nest box.[​IMG]

10. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    I also have a question. Do I need to remove the cock if I want the hen to hatch her own clutch? Will he harm the chicks when they hatch if I leave him in with her? Any info. on peafowl would be helpful. thanks.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by