Incubating pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Knuckle duck, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Knuckle duck

Knuckle duck In the Brooder

Oct 13, 2017
    My female pekin laid a fertile egg when i first got her, i took it in to try to incubate it. Its on day 19 and looking lovely, i am only using a desk lamp, towel and wet sponge. Wich i was told wouldnt work due to humidity issue. I have thermometer for temp. Has anyone done this before? He/ she seems to be growing right on track, if so when should i see his beak in air pocket? Thanks

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Takes 28 days to hatch.....

Knuckle duck likes this.
  3. Knuckle duck

Oct 13, 2017
    Yea Ok so the beak will be in the air sack 24 to 48 hrs right? Thanks for reply

4. Knuckle duck

Oct 13, 2017
    I meant to ask 24-48 hrs before hatch*

chickens really likes this.
  5. chickens really

Yes....They are slow to hatch so once it internally pips it will rest and then externally pip and then rest....Lazy little buggers....Best wishes on it hatching....Post pictures once your Baby is here.....

6. Knuckle duck

Oct 13, 2017
    Awesome, thank you, so i can candle him intel i see that? Or like day 26? Then let him be til hatch? Or do i do a lock down like chicken eggs? Sorry for all the questions.lol.

7. chickens really

Yes....Lock down like a Chicken egg....Hand turn 3 times daily till 3 days before hatch date...Then leave it with the air cell facing up....

8. chickens really

Humidity will need to be raised during hatch....wet sponge not touching egg to raise humidity....

9. Knuckle duck

Oct 13, 2017
    Okay, i will post pics at first pip! And hatch. Thanks again

chickens really likes this.
  10. Knuckle duck

Oct 13, 2017
    Ok so it is day 26 and no internal pip, he is still moving in there. I have him on lockdown and raised humidity. Am i rushing this? Or should he have internally pipped by now? Is there a way to tell if hes about to pip internal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: