Incubating problem or bum rooster

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster0209, Jun 21, 2008.

1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Candled my guinea eggs...bad news

Out of 18 Eggs 5 have a chick inside. They were due to pip yesterday. I put the five back in the bator and will give them another day.

I dont know what I am doing wrong or do I have a bad rooster. I didnt candle these eggs or even open the bator the whole time, I left them alone. The temps were steady at 99-100. The humidity was steady at 65% and I upped it the last three days when I removed the turner to 85%.

Am I killing these eggs?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Guinea eggs are like chicken eggs only they take 28 days. Mine hatched at 25 days though.

65% is too high for humidity. It should be lower in the 40% - 45% range. Then raise it in the last few days.

3. rooster0209

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    The eggs were put in on the 25th May. I dont know if you count the 25th or not. They should hatch today or yesterday.

I figured on them hatching yesterday. So when nothing was happending today, I checked them. I have 5 with a definate chick inside. I didnt want to leave them out too long, so I didnt check for movement.

What do I do? Wait and give em a day longer? I am just ready to give up

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wait. This is the hard part. However if you see no pips by tomorrow (day 28) candle the eggs again and look for movement. It is common to have chicks reach maturity and never pip and hatch. Sad but true.

Everyone I talked to has had their guineas hatch early like mine did - day 25 - 28.

5. rooster0209

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    i have pips on all five.

I am trying not to get too excited. It hasnt been a good day.

My one pheasant that hatched Thursday didnt make it. He was just too weak to even get up and walk around. My one little bantie chick died last night too. I have no idea why. She was 4wks old but had yet to get feathers. Maybe something was wrong with her. I dont know. All the rest of the chicks are growing like weeds and running around

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

7. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Sounds like you have a fertility problem. if only 5 eggs are fertile. if your temps or humidity are off, the keet will still develop. So the non developing eggs are not fertile. Depending on how many guinea hens you have, you might need more males. you need about 1 male to 5 hens with guineas, or you will have alot of infertile eggs.

8. rooster0209

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Two of the pips died over night. One is fully out, the other two are hanging in there.

i dont understand why they are dying. They are fully developed. when I remove parts of the shell, the white part is really rubbery. The humidity is where its supposed to be. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I had the same problems with the chickens I hatched too. Some of the chicks couldnt get out of the white rubbery part under the shell.

I have two roosters for 3 hens. I thought for sure that would be enough.

I am beginning to think its time to get a hen and just let her hatch the eggs. I am killing too many

I GIVE UP! only one little guinea made it. [​IMG]

Should I even try incubating my EE's I got? help? what am I doing wrong

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by