Incubating problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by perlover48, Jun 14, 2016.

1. perlover48

perlover48 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    When I was incubating my chicken eggs I was going to candle them on day 7 or 6. Then I saw no blood vessels so to check what was going on I open one. When I cracked it open the yolk was broken and no blood vessels. I proceeded to open all 9 and every single one was like that. Before I started collecting for this incubation I opened 1 egg to check fertility and it was fertile. Idk why the yolk broke. I want to hatch chicks but so far it isn't working out

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Are you sure it didn't break when you cracked it open?

What is your incubator setup like? Brand and what settings and humidity?

3. perlover48

Apr 5, 2016
    I'm sure because on one of them I crust crack the shell not membrane and opened it carefully and then the yolk just plopped out all broken and stuff. Ik it's not how I'm doing the process because I did it once and the 7 out of the 9 where chicks. Two in fertile.

I'm using one of those little giant ones with the humidity at 55-60% and temp at like 101.2 and I have 2 temp gauges and 2 humidity gauges because sometimes the built in one will go wierd. My first time I did this after day 18 the "temp" went to 79 but inside was 102 for the other one

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It's hard to say why the yolk is scrambled if they are not shipped. I've had a couple that the yolk was like that after incubation, but the smell and color led me to believe it had been infected by bacteria.

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here where your humidity is concerned. 55-60% is extremely high (regardless of incubator's instructions). Unless you are in a high altitude, I would highly suggest a low humidity incubation and monitoring the air cells for humidity adjustment. If you want more info you can check this out. It's the method I use: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Now, the humidity is in no way linked to the scrambled egg problem, but I'd thought I'd throw that out there.

5. perlover48

Apr 5, 2016

Thank you I will start collecting my eggs for the incubation soon. I hope I can get chicks soon.

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I was just looking at a development chart that amylynn posted on another thread and the yolk appears to break open at 3 days development though the embryo is obviously still very very small.

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The yolk shouldn't break open at all. If the yolk ruptures at any point before it's absorbed the chick's chances for survival are low. The development chart is eggs cracked open at each day of development so on the days with the loose yolk it probably broke when they put it in the petri dish.

8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    ah okay, thanks for clarifying. That makes sense, too, since the yolk is obviously not broken on an early hatcher (hopefully).

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by