Incubating pullet egg, first eggs????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by partimer, Dec 19, 2009.

1. partimer

partimer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    :/Just gotta know??? Has anyone tried or hatched chicks from the first eggs laid or very young pullet eggs?? I have 9 BO hatched out here, and now they are laying, and my curiosity and anxiety is getting the best of me. New Years day I would like to set as many as I possibly can. Answers please!!!!! My bator will be filled with Golden comets and I have room for these young birds eggs. I'll wait, many thanx

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Yes.

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I started with one group 3 weeks after first lay and the other about a week after first lay. Both eggs did well. Fertility wasn't as high as mature hens, but 50% was awesome in my opinion [​IMG] I wouldn't set eggs that look unusually small, but if they are an OK size, I'd give it a shot. Have you checked to make sure they are fertile?

4. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    I set red sex-link and barred rock pullet eggs that were between small and medium size and the chicks were very healthy. Go for it!!

5. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I did and my fertility and hatch rates were pretty good. I think the girls were 22 weeks old and the roo was 15 weeks when I set the eggs. I set 14 eggs and had 8 hatch but one never got up and 1 died at 3 weeks. The rest are healthy, happy about 8 week old ee x rsl out in the coop now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by