Incubating Quail and Chickens together-can you do it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mustangrooster, Dec 27, 2016.

1. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

So, although i have a incubator coming that holds 96 eggs..., i want to use my Janoel 12 a bit more before the other one arrives, it has a egg in it already that is due to hatch..

I have 2 quail eggs and a dozen mixed breed eggs....can they be incubated together? I've heard that they have different temp ranges to chicken eggs..it'll only be my second time incubating Quail eggs....

Your thoughts?

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Yes they can be incubated together.

temp is 99.5 for forced air incubator 102 for still air incubator. for quail and chicken eggs to hatch.

Chicken eggs are 21 days. if your quail are cotournix they take 18 days. bobwhite eggs take 23 days.

set the chicken eggs first then set the quail (cotournix) eggs 3 days later so all should hatch at same time.

I do this when hatching turkeys and chickens.

good luck

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  3. mustangrooster

Thankyou for the great info :) I've incubated chickens a ton of times before, but was questioning about what temp they would be both together...so thanks. If 99.5 is Celsius what would it be in Fahrenheit? Im not overly good with that stuff... Oh ok, i never knew i would add the Quail eggs 3 days later...I've set the chicken eggs now, so by the time 3 days pass i should have 5 Quail eggs....

4. melliston

melliston Just Hatched

Dec 24, 2016
    Ft Pierce, FL
    I raise chicken, turks and coturnix, if you do incubate quail and chicken together, they need a divider in before they hatch, the chicken will trample the quail.

5. mustangrooster

Sounds like you have alot of breeds :) How many birds altogether? I raise ducks turkeys chickens and now Quail...what an adventure! Right, that makes sense. Thanks..I've set the chicken eggs already, im going to wait 3 days before i add the Quail eggs

6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    99.5 is farenheit. 99.5 C is equivalent to 211.1 F - which would instantly bake the eggs. Hope all goes well!

7. mustangrooster

Quote:Ahh wow, im tired! ha ha ETA: I think what i meant is that, i set my Incubator temp in Celsius...so in order for it to be 99.5...how do i set it..? Its usually set at 37.5...so if i change it to 99.5 i think i would cook the eggs? Im confused..

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  8. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe

Right. If you set your incubator in Celsius, set it at 37.5. If using farenheit, 99.5.

9. melliston

melliston Just Hatched

Dec 24, 2016
    Ft Pierce, FL
    In total, I currently have 56 birds. With 2 batches of chicken,and 1 batch of quail due in the next 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by