Incubating Quail Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pjquail, Aug 7, 2014.

1. pjquail

pjquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    Hi,
    I just recently got 2 dozen bobwhite quail eggs to incubate. I've read on numerous other sites (including this one) that you should always start getting your incubator up and running almost a week before you get your eggs to regulate the temperature and humidity. I have a homemade incubator that I made out of: a Styrofoam cooler, a 25 watt light bulb (recommended by lots of people apparently), a temp. & humidity monitor, a sponge, and a bowl/pan of water. The temperature for incubating quail eggs is 99.5-101 F if I'm correct; And the humidity (so I've heard) should be around 40-45% until the last three days-which it should be raised to approx. 65% (please tell me if I'm wrong!) So my bator has been running for almost 6 hours today and I am having trouble regulating the temp. and humidity still. My temperature is either at 97 or 102 constantly and won't budge from either extremes; And my humidity will not go above 31% no matter how many sponges and water bowls I put inside! I heard that it's not how much water you put in the incubator, but it is the surface area of the water in it. But like I said-I tried that and the humidity level still will not budge. I really would appreciate some help, due to my eggs arriving 2 days earlier than expected! Thanks, I hope you can please help [​IMG]

2. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    Eggs take a week before chances decrease so just take your time and figure out your incubator, I have found putting a towel over your incubator will help stabalzie your temp and humidity

3. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I second what chickster said. How do you change the temperature?

4. pjquail

Aug 7, 2014
    Thanks for your input. I've been regulating the temperature by poking some little air holes in the sides and top of the incubator and also a golf ball sized hole directly across from the bulb; I also have wedged a styrofoam rectangle in front of the bulb too to block some of the heat, which has been working great! I have been at a steady temp. of 99-100 for a couple hours now, so that solves 1/2 of my problem. I also have read on a couple of threads, that laying a wet cloth/small towel in a container full of warm water helps with increasing humidity-and that has worked very well also. My humidity has raised from 31% to 45% which is supposedly the correct humidity level for quail (please correct me if I'm wrong). Thanks so much again for all your input [​IMG]

I also have a couple other questions if you can answer them:
    ~ What do you feed your baby quail/chicks?
    ~ How many times do YOU turn your eggs for the best hatching rate?

5. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    For my coturnix quail I put the chick starter crumble in the blender to grind it up smaller so they wouldn't choke on it since they're so tiny, also I put marbles in their water so they couldn't drown or get soaking wet. I used an automatic egg turner when I incubated mine and I think it turned the eggs 5 times a day? I know when you hand turn eggs you normally do around 3 turns a day. Hope this helps!

6. pjquail

Aug 7, 2014
    Thanks a lot Jedwards! Since I have a homemade incubator I don't have an automatic turner; I just turn the eggs by hand 4 times a day (I heard that the more you turn the eggs the better the hatch rate?) I already have my chick brooder set up with marbles in the water, and I'm still deciding what kind of chick starter feed to go with (non-medicated) Any recommendations? Thanks for the blender tip, definitely will try that when the chicks hatch.

7. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I was raising silkie chicks at the time of my last quail hatch so I just used the Non-Medicated Chick Starter I bought from tractor supply but there is also game bird starter that's available if you'd be more interested in that. I was skeptical about the blender tip when I first heard about it but then I tried it and I'll never go back to a grinder again haha! Glad to help!

8. pjquail

Aug 7, 2014
    Is the brand 'DuMOR'? I would order some from Tractor Supply but the shipping is like $12 and I don't have a tractor supply local. It's 4 hours away [​IMG]

9. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Yes that should be fine actually I think that's one of the brands tractor supply carries!

10. pjquail

Aug 7, 2014
    Thanks for all your help! And do you know the answers to any of these questions:
    ~When brooding bobwhite quail do you have to use a red brooding lamp? Can it be a regular one?
    ~Do you know anything about ACURITE temp. & humidity monitors? I have one that does well, but someone said it doesn't measure humidity correctly???
    ~Is it true that the more times you turn your eggs per day the better the hatch rate? I've heard that from a couple of people.

Thanks Again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by