1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubating quail question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickiepoo2, Jan 9, 2009.

1. chickiepoo2

chickiepoo2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Well I did it....I bought 300 texas a & m eggs to see how their meat taste in 8 weeks [​IMG]
    I hope this question makes sense so here goes: When you count the incubation days do you count they day they started as "1" or the next full day as the first day? I've always wondered if that mattered and if it made a difference. These quail hatch in 16-17 days right? And I stop turning on day 14 right? And the temp needs to be just under 100 right? And humidity as high as I can get right? I think that's it. It hasn't been that long since I incubated and I've allready forgot my numbers. Well there was one time I completely miscounted days so the eggs were still in the turners and I started hearing peeps...oops

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Day 1 is the day after you put them in if you put them in in the afternoon. If you put them in in the morning, then that day is day 1. At least that's how most people do it. Stop turning after day 13...they hatch days 16-18.

Temp: Around 100 if you have a circulated air bator, or around 101 if it's a still air bator.

Humidity: Around 45% until day 13, then up to about 70%.

3. chickiepoo2

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Okay so I started them around 10pm last night and that makes today day 1? I've always wondered this too. I can I control the humidity? I have still air and one circulating standard small incubators.

4. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    My experience with A&M quail is that they may hatch at day 16 but can go as long as 21-22 days. So don't give up too soon if you don't see many hatch out 'on time'. Of course, that is based on my incubator settings and type of incubator that I have. Yours may vary. I stop turning on the 14th to 15th day. I would start counting the hatch from day one as long as day one is 24 hours! Just my two cents worth ..........

5. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Technically day 1 started at 10 pm last night and goes until 10 pm tonight, but for simplicity's sake you can just call today day 1.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  6. chickiepoo2

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    And how about humidity control? Is there any control over that and if so how?

7. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It depends on what type of bator you have. Increasing surface area of the water (with a sponge, etc) raises humidity. Also removing/adding the plugs in the top if it's a styrofoam one.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Today at 10 pm will be day one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by