Incubating question on shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shangri-lafarms, Aug 22, 2008.

1. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    hello all,
    could you tell me this I am new to incubating and I have two batches 5 days apart.....first hatch came from 12 eggs, i have four babies that are 12 days old and moving , alot of fertile eggs 7 had blood rings and got tossed, 1 infertile....second batch origionally 10 eggs 2 infertile, lucky I got them out they were stinking only after a few days.....the rest on day 7 I have 3 definite 5 maybees ...I just can't tell yet so I'm keeping them.....Just wondering if these numbers are normal for most people that got shipped eggs from other friends member etc....or is this just because it's my first time??? Just wondering what everyone thinks...thanks

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    It is normal... unfortunately. BUT... unless you're really good at looking at candled eggs, I wouldn't throw away the bloodrings until day 14 or 18... I had 3 eggs this last hatch that I had put a "?" on because I thought they were bad, and all 3 hatched. But yes, the PO does a number on them. My last hatch was my best - 10 out of 17, and it came from the person closest to me (in WA). Time in transit was the same, but it was cooler and the actual distance traveled was shorter, so I'm thinking that's why I had such a good hatch. Otherwise, I was getting 0, 1, maybe 2 chicks, if I was lucky, every other hatch. :|

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Why does a blood ring form?

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I believe it has something to do with bacteria that's gotten into the egg and the developing embryo dies, leaving the blood ring. But I've mistaken the veins for bloodrings before, so if it doesn't stink and isn't weeping, I just mark it with a "?" and leave it in. No harm unless it's so rotten it will explode.

5. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    thanks that's all great advise, at first I did leave them in, but the blood rings were so prominant, I cracked them and none had embryos just blood and a old egg. If it did have an embryo it was too small to notice it. But they weren;t weeping or stinky, so maybe next time I will just leave them, this is my first time..at first I candled with a flashlight, so I didn't throw any away b'cause I wasn't sure ten I ordered the cool-lite candler for only 14 at eggcartons and I got it today so i candled it and that's when i made the final decision after seeing the others with definite movement, so I just compared the eggs that were at the same stage.....I just hope all the ones that are alive now will hatch

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    You should be fine... [​IMG] [​IMG] with your hatch!!!

7. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    that many blood rings is a sign that the eggs were probably washed improperly and allowed bacteria in the egg. This has nothing to do with being shipped. Shipping causes detached air cells, and loose air cells. Stinky eggs after a few days is a sign that the egg was old and invaded with bacteria way before incubating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by