1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubating question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cremesoda34, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Cremesoda34

Cremesoda34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    I have eggs due to hatch today and as I checked them to see if they were peeping I noticed one of the eggs air cell is almost half the egg.
    My question is I see the chick moving but will the chick have health issues or should it be ok? the other 7 eggs are normal size air cells.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I know it's hard, but if you're in the lockdown stage, you've gotta keep that incubator closed or you could compromise your whole hatch......[​IMG]

I would just wait and see what happens......

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yea, just see what happens. And don't touch!

4. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
  5. Cremesoda34

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    thank you all so much. Yes so very hard not to open the incubator and look. I have not checked them since I stopped turning them 3 days ago and got the humidity up until this morning. the chick is a standard cochin and it doesn't look near as big as the others in the egg but I'm am hoping it's just a runt. Wish me luck.

6. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Is the egg porous? Maybe it has a hairline crack in it somewhere? The large air sac indicates
    low humidity. Being that the other eggs have fine air sacs, I'd suspect this one egg is loosing
    humidity somehow. Just wait it out and see what happens.

7. Cremesoda34

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    I am happy to report they all hatched out ok and the large air cell which was a standard cochin chick was almost half the size of the others. took it longer to start to eat or drink and was very weak. Today it's eating with the rest and is all over the place. It's going to be just fine.

8. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Congrats! Good luck, and welcome to BYC, by the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by