Incubating Question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DRGLENNON, Feb 10, 2015.

1. DRGLENNON

DRGLENNON Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    I have eggs from two different breeders and want to know witch chicks came from what source. Any ideas on how to keep hatch lings on their side of the incubator. I just have one incubator. I thought that dividing with rabbit wire would work. Any suggestions?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It depends on your incubator and how you go into lockdown, but a fence with hardware cloth probably what you mean by rabbit wire) or something similar will work. They can be pretty active so to needs to be fairly secure so they don’t flatten it.

Another method is to make a basket out of hardware cloth and put that over the eggs, either individually or in groups. Some people use plastic mesh baskets.

3. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    I would agree with that the wire would be the best bet....and also toe punching the birds is also a great way to keep them as they get bigger along with leg bands...but the leg bands will need to be changed as they grow and could come off so both ways is the best safest way to keep track...and ofcourse a log on each bird for future reference

4. DRGLENNON

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL

Thank You both. the hardware cloth basket idea sounds great.I didn't know what it was called and had heard it called rabbit wire so I was hoping someone would know what I was talking about. lol I was planning to band the legs.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A temporary way to mark them is to use food coloring on the down. That’s how some hatcheries mark their chicks if you ask for that service. It will wear off as they shed the down and feather out so you have to stay on top of it, but as fast as they grow it might be better than leg bands when they are really young.

1 person likes this.
  6. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    zip ties also work

1 person likes this.
  7. DRGLENNON

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    Is it difficult to remove zip ties without hurting them? They do come in different colors now. I also noticed someone had used small colored rubber bands. They might eat those off one another.[​IMG]

I understand what you're saying about growth and leg bands. I rescued a pup one time the previous owner had left a leather necklace with a charm under the collar that the skin had grown over. I was horrified when I took the collar off. I don.t think she would have made more than a few days longer like that.

8. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I use zip ties and found that a nail clipper, used sideways, is good for removing the zip ties, and also for trimming after applying the zip tie.

1 person likes this.
  9. DRGLENNON

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    Thanks!

10. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    correct as mentioned above...by dheltzel