incubating question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluedawg, Oct 26, 2008.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    if I get a few eggs delivered and then within a week I get a few more delivered... Should I hold the first ones I receive in the refrigerator until the next ones arrive so they can all go in together? or is it ok to add them incrementally to the bator? I know at the end of the cycle the moisture level will be increased will that inclreas in humidity harm the eggs which were added later on?

Thanks,
    -M

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Eggs should be set within 7-10 of being laid. You can set the eggs a week apart in the bator, but it is best to do this with a second bator to use as a hatcher.

As long as the humidity is not too high, I wouldn't think it would hurt the others. I did this quite a bit when I first got my bator. The biggest problem you have with staggered hatches with no hatcher/2nd bator is the bacteria. It is hard to clean the bator properly between hatches when there are constantly eggs in it.

Eggs can be stored between 55-65 degrees, I believe, but if these are shipped eggs, they are already at least 3 days old when you get them.
    (Not sure on the storage temp, but I'll go check)

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Do not refridgerate hatching eggs.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:The posts that I found say 55-68 degrees for proper storage. That would be too warm for a normal refridgerator.

5. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    oh good thanks for telling me about my refrigerator misinformation. Also our temp. is going to drop here with lows in the mid 30's at night. So perhaps I should hold off on having eggs shipped - this is unusually cold for this time of year here.

-M

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by