incubating questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ameraucanacrazy, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    i am hatching runner duck eggsand i was wandering can i hatch them in a chicken incubator and how do i keep the humidity up in the incubator

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yes you can. Keep the same temp as chicken eggs, but keep the humidity around 45% up until you move them to the hatcher. Then increase to around 65-70%.

Which type of incubator is it? Is it like the brinsea where the incubator sits on a turner, or a hovabator where you stick the eggs in an individual turner? I have found out that duck eggs do horribly in incubators where the eggs stick in those yellow individual egg turners. If you have one of those, you should probably hand turn them 3x a day instead.

3. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Quote:I used a brinsea with the autoturner and got a 5/6 hatch, so I don't think it's that bad.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I used a brinsea with the autoturner and got a 5/6 hatch, so I don't think it's that bad.

I also use a Brinsea and get great hatches. I was saying that incubators that sit on a turner work fine, but the incuabtors where the turner sits inside the incubator and you put the eggs in the turner dont work so well.

5. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] Sorry, I'm slow sometimes.

<3 My brinsea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by