incubating shell-less egg cultures of embryos

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ashleyy_x3, May 18, 2011.

1. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    has anyone ever tried to make a shell-less chicken embryo culture and incubate it to watch its growth?
    apparently you incubate the egg for 3 days, and then crack in open into like a petri dish with plastic wrap or something (not really sure on the specifics) to make a make-shift see-through egg and then put it back in the incubator and can watch it grow.
    idk, i was just watching some youtube vidoes of this one persons experiment where they did it. the embryo lived until almost hatching time, but then died because well, there was no shell to hatch out from...
    they had to inject the embryo with calcium supplements throughout the incubation process, because there was no egg shell to get it from.
    i think its pretty neat. id love to be able to do it and watch the little embryo grow. but i would NOT want it to have to suffer and die at the end, when it wouldnt be able to hatch out... id get too attached watching it grow from a little tiny cell into a fullsized baby chick.
    do you think theres a way youd be able to have them survive and somehow make them able to hatch or something?
    id have to do more research and see if its been done..

anyways. just thought it was very interesting and wondered if anyone had heard of it or done it before [​IMG]

2. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've wondered about that kind of thing, too. Except I always imagined putting the embryo in a clear "pseudo-egg". It would be very interesting to see it move around, I think.

3. TayFray!

TayFray! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Vienna, Maine
    hey im from maine too, haha small world. umm idk if that would work, it would be a lot of work, and do you have the link of the video of the people doing it!

4. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I heard that they soaked the egg in vinegar or something to dissolve the shell. Then they incubated it(it still has the membrane). But same as yours, it never lived to hatching. I think it died about halfway through.

6. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
  7. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I would think it would be more susceptible to bacteria, or exploding. [​IMG]

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    All I could say if you try this is use sterile protocol! Not clean, STERILE. I guess most people would have to be in the medical field to know how to do a sterile procedure, like wound care. This should be treated the same way. On online medical supply places you can buy sterile disposable equipment and sterile gloves.

9. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    I also have heard that you can fill a bowl with water put some plastic wrap over it and then crack a 72 hour embryo over it and then put something over the embryo. I can't remember what the thing was.

10. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I may someday try to cut a window in the shell (not breaching the inner membrane), and put some tegaderm over it to seal it out. The window allows you to view inside the egg still, without removing most of the shell. I would assume I should cover up the window with something opaque when not observing, since the light intrusion may not be a good thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by