Incubating shipped eggs - need help!

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
Ive got some WH duck eggs for hatching arriving this week. I’ve incubated quite a bit from my own flocks eggs so as far as incubating I’ve got that down.

This is my first time getting eggs shipped to me, help me with the shipped part!! So far I’ve read that .....

1. I should let them rest once I get them. Pointy side down for 12-24 hours?

2. I shouldn’t rotate them for the first 7 days?

3. Incubate them vertical?

4. Do you rotate if incubating vertical?

5. If the eggs arrive with good lookin air cells is it still necessary to do them vertical? I’m asking cause by doing them vertical with the egg cartons I’m losing a lot of space and don’t think I’ll be able to incubate all 8 eggs that are coming.
A68D59BB-92AD-4273-95F4-646671FEBF74.jpeg

What else do shipped hatching eggs require?

Don't let them sit. Go straight into the incubator. I have shipped alot of eggs and people have had great hatch rates not letting them sit. My logic is that not since its getting warmer the embryo starts developing while in transit sitting in a warm/hot atmosphere in multiple areas then you set them in the air conditioning at what 70 degrees? Imo if that happens it will kill the embryo. Also if you can have the shipper put nothing suggesting what's inside. I did an experiment years ago sending friends eggs with fragile and hatching eggs written on the box and with nothing written on the box. The fragile boxes were almost always in worse shape including scrambled eggs. Believe me people are mean and Don not care about your eggs to the point of messing them up. With all the automation in shipping they already are having a rough ride. I have also been in usps hubs (new Orleans) and witnessed people throwing boxes to usps containers on wheels to move shipments around the warehouse. They do not care and if it's brought to thier attention it even worse.

Don't let them sit. Go straight into the incubator. I have shipped alot of eggs and people have had great hatch rates not letting them sit. My logic is that not since its getting warmer the embryo starts developing while in transit sitting in a warm/hot atmosphere in multiple areas then you set them in the air conditioning at what 70 degrees? Imo if that happens it will kill the embryo. Also if you can have the shipper put nothing suggesting what's inside. I did an experiment years ago sending friends eggs with fragile and hatching eggs written on the box and with nothing written on the box. The fragile boxes were almost always in worse shape including scrambled eggs. Believe me people are mean and Don not care about your eggs to the point of messing them up. With all the automation in shipping they already are having a rough ride. I have also been in usps hubs (new Orleans) and witnessed people throwing boxes to usps containers on wheels to move shipments around the warehouse. They do not care and if it's brought to thier attention it even worse.
Oh I know it’s ridiculous! They’ve already been shipped but the shipper asked if I wanted to pay extra $12 for “special handling” I declined because I know even paying for the special handling it ain’t gonna happen! Just a waste of money for them to throw a sticker on it and throw it in the truck with the rest of the packages.

Interesting you say don’t let them rest and put them straight in the incubator. I haven’t heard that but it makes sense, especially with the temps warming up here. 75 today!

Back
Top Bottom