Incubating shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chonsey, Nov 6, 2015.

1. chonsey

chonsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    Trying Hatchright spray, claims to strengthen the veins & embryo-stronger chicks. I'll be using the Farm Innovator incubator and automatic turner. I also got their chicken heating mat - 60w for the brooder, so I can turn the light off at night. I've let the chicken eggs settle for a day and a half and putting them in today.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I'd leave turner off for one day too go ahead set them in..
    I got advice on this from another bycer.. she recommended 12 hrs then set them in ..and leave turner off for 2 days... but since you waited a day and half.. I'd just leave turner off for a day.. check out incubate shipped eggs in the learning center.. all kinds of info.. some varied

1 person likes this.
  3. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    In the incubator, thanks. Wish I found this website sooner. Hatching out a few eggs that were shipped. Weren't packaged well. 7 eggs were not cracked. But I put them in right away. They weren't labeled do not x-ray, live embryos, arrows pointing up. Uhg! This set of shipped eggs, I'm using Backyard Chicken learning/forums experience & advice to help us along. Update: three chicks hatched with lots of help-thank you everybody! :jumpy

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  4. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    This set I got from a certified breeder, parents tested. So I know I have healthy chick's - thank you for the advice. I also learned not to candle day @11-14. So I'll wait til lock down day to check for quitters.

5. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    Got a few polish chicken eggs from a reputable breeder, added them to the incubator. Hoping to hatch my hen a good mate. My husband thinks I'm crazy for trying this in November in Michigan. But I have a lonely polish hen, stays to herself. I gave her brothers to a breeder, they were absolutely beautiful. Need a roo for her.

6. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    Have a Farm Innovator incubator, trying to keep the humidity @50-53% temp @100 deg. Candled them while they were sitting in the automatic turner the other morning. Sure hoping for a good hatch!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  7. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    Found that 40% humidity is ok - thankfully, can't seem to get the humidity up to 52%.

8. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    Well I'm getting ready to put them in lockdown, candled the Barbezieux eggs - three clears, one started oozing @ day 14 and one looks like it quit @ day 10.
    Very sad, sent a message to the breeder @ Barbezieux. Maybe they'll send me a couple more. Maybe. Sure hope so. Might order an RCOM incubator with temp & humidity control.
    I was ready to order a Brinsea incubator on ebay, but it sounds like I'd be lucky to see it by the end of December. That's a lot of money to spend and sit and wait a month?

9. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    Ordered a R-Com Max20 incubator, they will ship priority! Should have it by Saturday!

10. chonsey

Oct 17, 2015
    On the nest
    [​IMG]

They're starting to hatch! I put the lowest point of the air cell up. These eggs were shipped and some are saddle shaped. And this one was just lop sided. I did let them sit before incubating them to try and let the air cells stabilize after the transit.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by