Incubating shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by williamsl77, Dec 11, 2011.

1. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Hi all,

I am incubating several batches of shipped eggs. This is my first attempt at incubating eggs. I did not candle them prior to putting them in the incubator (didn't know I was supposed to, now I know). I did let them sit for 24 hours prior to putting them in the incubator Thursday night. I candled some of them this am (Day #3). I know I'm not supposed to see much at this point, but I was looking for air cells (now that I know what to look for). There is one batch that have great looking air cells, intact and don't move at all (Little Araucana Mom's eggs). I have a bunch from my pet chicken that look like they might not have air cells in them any more or that have air cells that still move all over the place. I think this is pretty bad for outcome, right? My question is... do the air cells ever seal back up if they've broken off of the egg? And when should that occur? Will any of these stand a chance at hatching? I know I should have a better idea by Wednesday (Day #6). Can't wait to candle then. And next time, I will candle prior to putting them in. I also found the air cell sticky on Incubating and Hatching thread. Next time I will let them sit longer and put them in without putting the automatic turner on for 3-4 days. So I learned all that retrospectively. But you know the newbies... so excited to get my eggs in, I jumped first, then read the directions.

Anyway... experienced hatchers of shipped eggs... what do you think?

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    I've hatched lots of shipped eggs and MOST of the time, the ones with moving air cells don't make it past day 10 or so. If it's only a LITTLE disconnected, the cell will grow and it won't be a problem anymore, but if its totally out of place then it doesn't have a chance, even if you keep the large end up the entire time. [​IMG]

3. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Hmmm.... well, the post office must have been particularly rough because most of the air cells from certain shipments are obliterated. Do you have a PO that seems pretty contientious? Mine dumped the basket out right in front me to give me my boxes (soooo disappointed). There is one shipment where most of the aircells are intact so that's good.

4. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    There are many instances of eggs with detached aircells still developing and hatching. I have several now that were detached and are now developing normally and looking good. To get the cells to reattach, it is important to let them sit about 24 hours and then put them into the incubator for the first few days with the turner off so the eggs just sit upright. This doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. The hatch rate will be lower, but that's the risk we take to get eggs that we otherwise can't find locally. Good luck with your eggs, I hope you get some great hatches!

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    Quote:always lovely when you have someone that is clueless at the PO when there are instructions everywhere on the box not to shake or tip the box.

i came home to one of my shipped boxes of eggs on it's side between the kitchen door and the storm door. looked a little crushed too. i did have a couple of eggs survive the hatch but i gave them to one of my broody cochins and she weeded out the bad eggs and chose the ones that she must have felt would make it. i've have eggs twice come from the same breeder and both sets had the same issue of detached air cells. both times were shipped through FedEx and not one egg developed after giving them at least 24 hours sitting still.

i swear that once you mark the box 'fragile' or 'Do Not Shake or Drop' the people handling them think it is fair game and drop kick it to the truck! this time of year can be extremely tough to get eggs shipped since the POs are getting much more mail and packages shipped through them and they have temp helpers that aren't as gentle on stuff they have to touch.

give those eggs to day 10 and try to candle them again. also, give them a 'sniff test' to be sure none of them smell as if they are going bad. having a rotten egg is not a fun time when they break in the incubator or under a hen. [​IMG]

6. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Oh, hi Chickie's Mama... I just sent you a PM. 8) I think they did drop kick it! Twice!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Thank you to the experienced hatchers that gave some feedback!!

8. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    I have hatched shipped eggs a few times. I wait 24 hours, keep them still for 2 days and then try to keep the humidity lower till after day 10. I read the information about dry incubation and took into account I live in a relatively dry area. That was the recommendation I was given last year and seemed to work pretty good.
    There are so much knowledge of this site, I am always in awe.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by