Incubating small eggs..??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mikegar21, Jan 20, 2014.

1. mikegar21

mikegar21 New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Hi all.

So I currently am incubating 6 eggs from my Delaware roo and RIR hen..

Unfortunately I live I'n an area where I cannot have the roo. So this weekend I have made arrangments to gie him away.

I'n the mean time I thought I'd try to hatch a few eggs out, A's I have seen him doing the deed on a few newer hens. The hens eggs only weighed 38 - 42 grams varying...

Has anyone ever tried hatching eggs a little smaller than the normal weight. 54 grams... Right??

Any help is very appreciated.

Their I'n their 7th day and all are looking to grow quite well. I candle eggs daily.

Thx.

Bay area Mike.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Just because its recommended not to hatch those smaller pullet eggs, doesn't mean you CANT hatch them (I'm assuming that's why you're worried). If they are pullet eggs, they tend to sometimes have thicker shells, or thinner shells, which makes it difficult for chicks to develop and hatch.
    They should be fine. Good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. mikegar21

mikegar21 New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks for the info. Yes the egg shells are quite thicker than a normal egg.. On hatch day. I they are having a hard time hatching out, do you suggest helping them out if they are having trouble breaking through that thick shell.. This is my first time doing this.

I know your never really soposto help out the chick.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would help them, just just have to be very careful when you do it.
    I usually peel the shell off over the air cell if they're struggling, and let them do everything else themselves. They remove the membrane and get themselves out. A pair of blunt tweezers are good for picking off the shell. You may also have to moisten the membrane since you'll be taking them out of the humid incubator. Very lightly moisten it.
    Definitely let them try before you intervene though. Sometimes they can take more than a day to hatch after they pip.

5. mikegar21

mikegar21 New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    My moistenin te membrane. You mean to use a sprayer and spray the shell lightly??

Thanks for all your info!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Under the shell is membrane, it wraps around the chick. If it gets dry it sticks to them and they can't get out.

No problem [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by